Thursday, April 21, 2005

Am I weird?

I've wondered this quite a bit recently. I mentioned in my recent post how I'd rather have known straight up what was going on with C, if it is in fact something different or more than what he told me. Am I weird? Guys, offer your opinions here - do men tend to hold back with women when there are unpleasant things to talk about because they're afraid we'll just nut out? In your experience, would most women *not* prefer the direct approach? If I have to hear something I don't like, sure, I might get upset. I might cry a little (although these days, I'm just about as likely to throw things and yell as I am to cry). But I'd much, much rather have someone just be straight up with me, even if it might not be something I want to hear or deal with, than pussyfoot around and try to spare my feelings - just out with it, so I can have my moment and then move on. Are women, generally speaking, not like that? Maybe I was a man in a former life or something. I'm fairly unlike a lot of women I know, from what I've seen.

Today's big fun activity, since I'm home by myself - I made candles! This is a little hobby of mine I don't get to indulge too often, and I've made a dozen votives with a vanilla bourbon scent. Yummy. If I could ever find the time to make a lot, I'd sell them. Maybe someday!

Sure enough, J woke up howling at 5:50 this morning. Ugh. He got back in bed for a little while, woke up screaming again, wanted to rock, and then asked for his blanket and fell asleep on the sofa. LOL He later moved himself to the floor and slept there. Silly boy, the bed would have been much more comfortable.

I'm off to run more errands and have lunch with one of my girlfriends. More later!

4 comments:

JamDaddy said...

It all depends on the sender of the message. I prefer to give the truth even if the person does not want to hear it. Of course for someone you care about or have cared about you try to ease in to the news a bit, but the truth needs to come out and fairly quickly.

The funny part is some people don't believe the truth. They come back with, your really don't mean that. No, you don't know what you want. Then you have to lie your way out or run from a stalker, lol.

Hey, guys learn early to sleep on a floor. Prepares you for college parties and recovering from a hard days work.

Jay said...

Dating and interpersonal relationships are such a big part of our lives but most of us don't really have a clue how to communicate.

Who knows what he was/is thinking. I think that internet dating & matchmaking services are probably a good idea because people are likely to be more upfront(?)

Jay

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Jam Daddy, I'm all for delivering the truth as gently as possible. I mean, there's no reason to be unnecessarily hurtful. But I'd much rather the full truth, told as kindly as possible, than a half-truth or incomplete truth told with the best of intentions.

Jay, you're right, I think I like the Internet thing. I'm talking to a guy via e-mail right now, rather a good bit, and I think it's a good opportunity for us to get a fairly good sense of each other before we try to meet in person. We'll see if my impressions are right if the two of us ever actually get together!

L.

Red said...

Lisa - you okay? You seem to be MIA. Drop a line, let your fans know you're doing alright, alright?