Thursday, December 04, 2008

Pain and regret

I feel awful. I started having stomach pains on Sunday night. Sunday night and Tuesday night, Phenergan helped and let me sleep. The stomach pain returned last night, and this time Phenergan didn't help. I barely slept, and I'm a raging grump today. The pain is upper abdominal, not lower abdominal like cramping or needing to go to the bathroom, so I worry that something has gone wrong with my lap-band. If that's the case, I don't know what will be done or what could be done, given that I'm pregnant. Curiously, though, the pain only flares up at night (and not every night - it gave Monday night a miss).

And because I felt bad, I was short-tempered with Julian this morning. I explained to him that I really didn't feel good and that's why I was crabby, but still. I feel bad about that. The overdramatic part of me worries, what if this pain is something that requires surgery and something goes horribly wrong, and the last thing Julian remembers me saying to him is fussing for not being ready to get out of the car when we got up to the drop-off point at school? I regret that I couldn't keep a better handle on myself and make my words to Julian this morning kind ones, pain and tiredness notwithstanding.

I just want to feel better, and for the baby and me to both be OK after whatever it takes to help me feel better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any chance it could be gallstones? Apparently they're rather common in pregnancy and when I had mine it was rather severe upper abdominal pain. In reading about them at wikipedia it looks as though the attacks are most common at night after a fatty meal. If your gall bladder is still intact, check up on it and talk to your doctor. In the meantime, see if drinking several glasses of water while in pain helps alleviate it. Good luck!

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

I do still have my gallbladder, and someone mentioned gallstones aren't uncommon in pregnancy. I mentioned that to the nurse today, and she sort of blew it off. It could fit, though, and the attacks certainly do come at night. I've eaten very little this evening, so if I don't wake up howling in pain, that would be something to consider. I'll try drinking water - thanks for the tip!