Friday, June 09, 2006

Catching up

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me! It was yesterday, actually. It's funny - 30 didn't bother me, 31 didn't bother me, 35 didn't bother me. But for some reason, 38 bothers me just a little. Go figure.

It was a decent day. K's parents sent me a really nice mother's bracelet, with J's name spelled out in silver blocks and made with silver and crystal beads. (J sees it and says, "Mama, that spells me!" LOL) My friend John surprised me and bought lunch for me - we went to Spaghetti Warehouse. My sweet boy sang Happy Birthday to me (I was so wishing for my big birthday/Mother's Day present, which will be a digital camcorder - I'd love to have gotten that recorded!), and that was just about the best present ever. And today my friend Marta is buying me a brownie from Paradise as a belated birthday treat, and tomorrow K and J are taking me out to dinner! Birthdays are fun.

Brian is finally over the barking crud, so that's good. I'm driving down next weekend to see his new house. I haven't seen him since what, the middle of May?! That's a long time - it will be good to see him.

Work is insane. Our unit manager is leaving. That makes me very sad. She's such a good manager, and she's always been so good about standing up for us (she's done my job before, so she has a real good understanding of what we're dealing with), and we don't know who might replace her, or if they'll even replace her. With all the rumored changes that are coming and all the new responsibilities we're being asked to take on (um, yeah, that's what we need, *more* responsibility), we don't know where things will end up. Let's just say that some of the possibilities are stomach-churning and leave it at that. But our manager is leaving, one of our FSO's (also a strong advocate for the admins and willing to call bullshit when she sees it) is leaving, people are leaving left and right, and it seems like our jobs are made more difficult daily. I feel like I'm on the Titanic, watching the rats desert the sinking ship. I'm applying to everything I can find, and I hope something works out for me sooner rather than later.

And that's a pretty complete summary of what's been going on with me. More later!

No comments: