Thursday, February 22, 2007

Scary

I had a kind of scary thing happen last night. There were no messages on my house phone when I got home, so I didn't think to check again before we started the bedtime routine. I didn't notice until almost 10:00 that there was a message. Caller ID showed a number that said "Pay Phone", and it was a Waco number. Brian has prepaid minutes on his cell phone, and he could have run low or run out, and he's the only person I know in Waco, really, so I thought he might have called. I listened to the message and all I got was what might have been Brian's voice saying "Lisa" (about half of it was cut off, so it was a little hard to tell from one syllable) and then an automated message saying the dialing party had disconnected, I would not be billed, which leads me to believe it was a collect call. So. That concerned me a little. At 9:22 at night, if it was Brian (and I can't figure out who else it would be), do you think he'd be calling collect from a pay phone just to tell me good night? I didn't think so. I'd think he'd only do that if it were something important, and I had no way to get in touch with him. I called his cell - it went straight to voice mail, which tells me he's likely out of minutes and just has it turned off. His house phone rings once and goes to a busy signal, and I know he's been having problems with the wiring. I was a bit concerned, and there was nothing I could do about it.

Thankfully, he called this morning. One of the things he knew needed to be fixed on the van finally crapped out as he was on his way home from church. He made it home OK, and he says he's not upset about it, other than the annoyance factor of having to make arrangements to have someone cart him around until it's fixed. He's having it towed to the dealership this morning, and hopefully they'll only have to keep it overnight.

This made me realize something, though. I don't much care what job I have or where, I just want Brian and I to be in the same place. I'd stay where I am now (and you all know how I feel about where I am now) if he could just be here with me. That's what's important. As long as I can pay the bills, the wheres and whys of my job just aren't that important compared to us being together.

No comments: