Tuesday, October 17, 2006

So...

It's been a while since I posted. My home computer is unworkable at the moment, and I'm trying to repair it without the need for taking it in for actual repairs that I have to pay for. I've got one more thing to try, and if that doesn't work, I may have to admit defeat and pay up for repairs. I just want all my pictures recovered. Everything else, I'm not so concerned about.

Work continues. We had a visit with the big, big, big boss last week - I think this is the first time I've seen him in my 2 1/2 years with the company. It was a short meeting, 30 minutes for him to talk and take questions. I'm no more confident about the way things stand here now than I was before that meeting.

Quarterly reviews are coming up, sometime before the end of the month. Performance reviews never made my stomach churn at any other job I've had. This one, just the thought of it makes me want to hurl.

I've been working on my enrollment for benefits for next year. My health insurance premium for me and J has gone up $26 per paycheck. With all the other little increases in the cost of our benefits, I'll be paying about $84 more each paycheck for the privilege of having the same coverage. As I've not gotten a raise and don't expect to get one, this means I'll effectively be taking a pay cut of just over $1,000 next year. Yay.

As if that wasn't reason enough to find a new job, now there's more than just a financial motivation. I've been on my two blood pressure meds for a while now, and have been taking them pretty faithfully. I've been checking my blood pressure at home. On two different days last week, taking my meds, after a day at the office, my readings were 140/105 and 136/101. YIKES. WITH the two meds. Yesterday, after taking a sick day to stay home with J, who'd been up since 4 AM and was jumping up and down on my last nerve, my reading was 117/85. Pretty darn close to normal there, even on a day that was less than relaxing (just not spent in the office). Hmm. Coincidence? I think not. So, now there's also a health motivation for finding a new job. I will not be the next heart patient at my workplace, thankyouverymuch.

And yeah, I was home with J yesterday - he woke up around 4 AM with a nasty, goopy cough that kept him from settling down and going back to sleep, and running fever of 101. So we just got up and went to see his doctor when she opened shortly after 7:00. Surprise surprise, it's a sinus infection. I figured that's what it was. Ten days of antibiotics, and hopefully we'll stay well for a bit. We stayed home yesterday in the nasty, soggy, rainy weather. He was tired - he was asleep by 8:30 last night, and I was asleep by 9:00.

Now I'm trying not to get sick. I've got the sinus ook going on, and I feel kind of lightheaded. I can't get sick, I have plans this weekend - it's Baylor Homecoming!

Speaking of Baylor, we may have lost this past weekend, but I'm proud of our team. We did way better against UT this year than we did last year, and even though we lost, I still think 31 points against an opponent as tough as UT is nothing to sneeze at. Sic 'Em Bears!

No comments: