Saturday, January 06, 2007

A revelation

I think I've posted about getting back into going to church and trying to redevelop my spiritual life. Dixiechick posted this on Friday. Her post made reference to this verse:

He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver.... Malachi 3:3

She then posted an account of how a woman wanted to really get a grasp of what this meant, so she visited a silversmith to see how he worked. He explained the process, told her the silver had to be in the very hottest part of the fire to burn away impurities, and told her that he knew the silver was pure when he could see himself in it. He also explained that he had to sit and watch it the whole time, because if it stayed in the fire a moment too long, it would be destroyed. The story then went on to compare God to the silversmith - He places us in the heat of the fire to bring about desirable qualities in our lives, to see Himself in us, and He watches us the whole time, so that we are not destroyed. Well, this whacked me right over the head, and I suddenly felt a peace. God knows what I'm going through, and He won't leave me in the situation I'm in one moment longer than is necessary to burn away things that need to go.

Then on the way home, I was listening to Life is Good by Jo Dee Messina. The lyrics go in part,

I've got my two feet on the ground
Breathin' in and breathin' out
Oh yeah
Life is good
I'm gonna grab on to today
Live every minute in the way I know I should
Life is good


I drove down the road with tears of joy pouring down my face. Yeah, some things are hard. Work sucks. Money is tight. It is hard being a single mom. But I'm alive, I'm breathing, and God is looking out for me and will take care of me in His way, in His time. Life *is* good.

And I felt a peace like I haven't felt in a long time. I could say to myself, "God will work this out," and *really* believe it.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. --Philippians 4:6-7

No comments: