Friday, December 16, 2005

It's raining on prom night...

My hair is a mess,
It's running all over
My taffeta dress....

(Does anyone but me know that song, and am I really dating myself by the fact that I know it?)

No, not really. Prom is long behind me. But that's sort of how I feel right now - I had a fun evening to look forward to and it was taken away from me due to events beyond my control. Brian was going to come up tonight, but he called and said he'd have to cancel. The alternator went out in his car - of all the rotten bad timing. We talked about the possibility of me driving down there, and he said he'd thought of that, but that it was one thing for him to make the long drive (about 90 miles) in dark, drippy weather, as he only had himself to worry about, and another thing entirely for me, as I have a son who needs me. So we're going to try to get together the first weekend in January. With all the Christmas goings-on, it's not going to happen before then. I'm disappointed, to put it mildly - I know it's not the end of the world, but dammit, I was looking forward to a night out. My opportunities to get out are so few and far between that I hate to miss one. Nice to have the time at home all to myself, but still. It's a letdown.

It was so nice to come home yesterday to a bathroom that wasn't all humid and damp, and SO nice not to hear the sound of water constantly running in the pipes. I'm very, very glad to have my shower fixed.

One of my co-workers was let go today. It was one of these announcements that comes with no warning, so-and-so is leaving to pursue other opportunities. I don't know all the whys and wherefores, and there may be something I don't know, something he did that led to him being let go. I just hate to see this happen to anyone, especially at this time of year. Merry Christmas, huh?! And whenever one of those e-mails comes out, we all worry a little bit that we could be next. I may gripe about my job, and may not think it's ideal, but a paycheck is infinitely preferable to no paycheck.

I really, really want to win the lotto. Then I won't have to worry about working, or at least I'll be able to do something I really enjoy, and not just something that has decent salary and benefits.

1 comment:

Kalleigh Hathaway said...

Ugh, I hate that disappointment. I know it too well.