Thursday, December 01, 2005

Weirdness abounds

N (K's birth mom) called me on my cell at 2:45 this morning, asking if I'd just called. Of course I said no, I was sleeping. So it was a short call and I went back to sleep. She called me this morning and left a message asking me to call so she could explain about that call. So I called her back. I'd left her a voice mail last night around 6:00, and I figured the message had just popped up really late, and that's what she got to make her think I'd called.

But no, it's freaky. It wasn't just a message showing up - N said they'd gotten the voice mail yesterday, way before this happened. N's phone rang four separate times between 1:30 and 2:00. J (her husband) answered and someone actually said "This is Lisa", and that everything was fine when J asked if things were OK. Then the phone rang again and no one would say anything. So it wasn't just a message popping up. I can see where they'd get worried in that situation, and would call to check. J read the number off, and it showed up four separate times. My phone
doesn't show that I've called N's cell other than last night on my way home and then this morning after she'd left me a message to call her - no dialed calls in the middle of the night, so it's not even like I was dialing in my sleep. No calls in the middle of the night show up on my cell phone call records. That's just too weird, especially given that J (my J) sees ghosts in every corner these days. Teddy (my birth brother, who died in a car accident in 1998, before I met my birth family and who we feel sure comes by to visit often) needs to stop playing with my phone. Time to establish ground rules - no waking the boy up, and no playing with the electronics in the middle of the night. Oy vey.

2 comments:

Amy said...

There is a spot on the internet that the computer savvy (way beyond me) can go to make calls from any number they want. It's called "caller id spoofing" or something like that.

My sister's boyfriend played a horrendous prank on us that way. So it could be someone just playing a stupid joke, too.

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Wow, I had no idea that was even possible (and who'd want to do that anyway?!). It could be, but it would have to be someone who knows me, knows my cell number, and knows the number of K's birth mom's cell phone. There are several people who know my cell number, but none of my friends know K's birth mom's cell number - they have no reason to. It's a puzzle.