Monday, May 01, 2006

Contemplating a change in direction

My job completely sucks ass - the only redeeming thing about it is my co-workers (and last week, one of them damn near got on my last nerve - I don't do well with people who take it out on everyone around them when they have a bad day). The more I think about it, the more I'm really considering medical transcription. If I were able to do that, I'd also have the opportunity to get into other things that interest me as sidelines - candlemaking, calligraphy, piano tuning, all things I could make a little money at. I'm trying to think of pros and cons to working from home/doing freelance work. Pros: I'd save a ton on gas and parking costs; I'd be here when J left for school and when he got home; I'd be a lot less stressed; I'd have a job I could actually kick ass at. Cons: I'd have to pay for my own health insurance (mine and J's); no retirement plan except what I managed to put aside, most likely; the temptation to do stuff around the house rather than work. But then I think, hell, I've worried about benefits and retirement and insurance and salary, and look where it's gotten me - nowhere fast. Am I more likely to do better (and thus ultimately make more) doing something I enjoy, even if it's not a typical corporate-America-with-benefits position? I'm thinking yes. I just wish I knew there was a safety net there before I took the leap of faith.

2 comments:

subhorup said...

Hey, Lisa, Medical Transcription is an exciting world to get into if you are turned on by puzzles, people, and the mystery that life is. It calls for patience, diligence, perfectionism and an endless inquisitiveness. If your 3-year-old is not having a "why" at number three (after "no" and "I don't want to"), maybe this is life's way of putting that question in front of you. If, however, "why" is number three, maybe this is the answer. I have been doing medical transcription for ten years and have loved every moment of it. Welcome to this opportunity to see what you have always looked at.

Lisa said...

Thank you so much for your thoughts! Funny that you mention puzzles - I'm a puzzle freak, and I do love a good mystery. And yeah, the 3-year-old is also very much into "why" (and its flipside, "why not"!). I'd thought transcription might be a good fit for me, and from what you've said, it sounds like I'm right.