Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Oh, ugh.

I feel like crap. I felt a little bad yesterday, and this morning I just felt rotten. My ear hurts when I swallow, I have some sinus drip, but mostly I'm just bone-crushingly tired (like PMS tired, only it's not PMS right now) and vaguely achy. I'm not reassured by the fact that K says this is how he felt with the mono, or by the fact that he said he'd feel better, then worse (because that's what I seem to be doing). And right now, I'm cold. Not sure if it's sick cold, or cold because it's cold in my building cold. All I know is, I wish I had a blanket right now. If it wouldn't get me some funny looks, I'd just take my arms out of my sleeves and put them inside my shirt.

I hope I don't have mono. I so do not have time to be sick. Although I wouldn't be disappointed (except for thinking of the shitload of work I'd be getting even more behind on) if the doc told me I was and why, yes, I did have her written authorization to stay home from work for a day or two or three.

We've had meetings this afternoon that just make me want to bang my head into a wall. On one hand we hear that the company wants associates to be happy. On the other hand, we keep getting more and more responsibilities taken from other groups and handed to us - theoretically to make things more efficient. Efficient for who, exactly? Certainly not us - as things are added to our pile, that gives us less time to accomplish what we already have (which is already more than we can get done). We're told, "oh, you'll get the hang of this new assignment" - um, not the point. The work isn't hard, it's just tedious and time-consuming. And time is the one thing that me and my peers have in increasingly short supply. Unless, of course, you want to stay late and come in on weekends (and still not get it all done). To which I say a big HELL, NO. It may not be much of a life, but I've got a life that I'd like to keep, and I have a little boy who needs his mama. If I wanted to spend 18 hours of a 24-hour day in the office, I'd have gone to work for a law firm and be pulling in six figures a year.

I'm just so steamed right now, and my head is spinning so much, that I can't see straight. Something has got to give, and it's not going to be my sanity. And they wonder why employees aren't happy.

2 comments:

Nell said...

It's never a good time for mono - weeks of fatigue and general malaise - ugh.

Let a few big things slip at work and blame the new assignments. Then come home and eat ice cream.

Danelle
http://purplestar.typepad.com

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Funny you should say that, Danelle - a couple of us were saying yesterday that this pilot would never be implemented because, well, looky there at all the mistakes being made, guess we just can't handle the added workload! LOL