Friday, August 19, 2005

From good to bad

The day started off pretty well. We had a horrifically long staff meeting this morning, but the good thing was, it lasted long enough that I got to go straight to my workout afterward. (I've joined Curves - I know people who've done really well with it, hopefully I'll be one who does well, too. Goal: work out 3 times a week.) So I went to my workout, finished up feeling good, went to get myself a salad for lunch, and ambled back to the office. I had about a zillion messages to call K.

So I did. He asked if I'd gotten the message from the alarm company. No, just got back to my desk. They'd called around 1:00, saying my alarm had gone off, showing motion in the living room. So I called back, pretty well beside myself. I talked to someone with the company. He said that the police were dispatched, and they hadn't heard anything back from them. He said that usually that means it was a false alarm, that the police will notify the company if they see signs of a break-in or trouble. He said they would call me if they heard from the police. As soon as I hung up the phone, I thought, D'OH, those helium balloons J got at the birthday party he went to are in the living room. I've left them in the house before with no problems, but I'm thinking/hoping that the air conditioner blew one of them just enough to set off the motion detector. Those things have been nothing but trouble - they've caught in the ceiling fan twice. (The fan isn't on right now, so they can't have tangled up in it again.) Guess what's going away while J is with his dad?! Yep, those balloons.

K is on his way to the house now to check things out. He told me to just stay put, that he'll call me when he's there. He was glad to hear I thought it might have been the balloons, but he said he wouldn't get a lick of work done if he didn't go check it out. So he'll let me know if there's anything to be worried about.

At any rate, I've now been at work for 3 1/2 hours without accomplishing a blinking thing. My workout was great. I think I'll enjoy going to Curves, and hopefully I'll get to see myself shrink. Getting out of the office to do something physical will be a big help as far as stress goes, I think.

Tonight is my late night - if I don't have to go home and check on the house, I'll be here until 7:00. Joy. (Another reason I'm glad K is going to check on the house - I'd hate to be going into my house later than usual when the alarm has gone off, not knowing what I might be walking into.) And now, I'd better get some work done. I'm so glad it's Friday.

No comments: