Sunday, August 14, 2005

Weekend update

It's been a big, busy weekend here at our house. J passed out at 7:20 tonight, he was so worn out. Woo!!! :) Tiny boy, he needs the rest - he hasn't slept well for about five nights running, and after yesterday's excitement, I know he's pooped. Here's hoping he sleeps soundly all night and that he doesn't wake up at some insane hour just because he went to sleep earlier than usual.

I think I've mentioned T before - we've talked via e-mail and phone and gone out a few times. I'd mentioned to him in e-mails about J's and my bouts with poison oak, and also about all the running around we'd done yesterday. He said this in an e-mail to me:

"I really can't believe that you took J to the gym and the birthday party. I mean, he still has the rash, and it can be easily transmitted if the rash is still "open." I think I would be rather upset at you if my kids were there."

Um, 'scuse me, did I ask for your thoughts on my parenting decisions? This is someone who's known me for about four months. If a dear friend of mine were to make a parenting decision I didn't agree with, I might not agree, but I wouldn't say anything about it unless she were possibly putting her child at risk (i.e., not putting the child in a car seat). J's rash isn't open, he has one little dry patch on his nose and some blotches (blotches, not open sores) on face and arms and legs. I started with it after he did, and my rash isn't open. The birthday party was for a friend's daughter - she knew about the poison oak, had it bothered her, she could/would have said something to me. I kept J home from school for two days, when they would have taken him back after just one, just for his well-being and to give his meds more time to kick in. You CAN'T catch poison oak from contact with the rash or anything that might come from it - only if the plant oils are on another person's skin or clothes and you come into contact with *that* can you "catch" it from another person, and by golly, J and I have both washed thoroughly with soap and lots of hot water during the past week. And it pisses me off that he'd think I'd risk knowingly exposing anyone to the flaming, itching hell J and I have been in for the past few days. GRRRRRRRRRR. Maybe I'm overreacting, maybe I'm taking it way to personally, but it just struck me the really wrong way. At any rate, I guess it's good that his kids weren't there, isn't it?

It has been a busy, busy weekend. Yesterday was Little Gym, lunch (stopped for Chinese takeout, J saw "Blue's Clues" on the TV there and didn't want to leave!), haircuts, and the aforementioned birthday party. My friend's daughter is just a couple of weeks younger than J, she and I have known each other since before our kids were born. J was quite the hit at the party. He'd been on a tear most of the day, no nap, and I was worried he'd be a grump. Then he sacked out in the car on the way to the party - I thought, great, either this 10-minute nap will refresh him enough that he'll be good to go, or he'll be such a crab that we'll be back in the car by 5:15. He was good to go - we didn't leave until after 8:00, and he was in rare form when he wasn't in the playroom playing with toys! He came out to see his little friend open presents, and I think he was more excited about them than she was - he exclaimed over everything she got, much to the entertainment of her family members. They told me how cute he was. :) Of course, I have to agree! He had such a good time, he's still talking about the party today.

And he finally went to bed early. Sweet boy, he needs the rest.

And tomorrow it's Monday, back to the grind. Blech. I've not heard anything back from any of my interviews. Wait and wait some more, and keep looking.

I'd better get some sleep - the alarm goes off early, and I don't want to miss this opportunity to get an earlier-than-usual night myself!

2 comments:

Jay said...

Yup. When you're ignorant it's best to stay silent. Poison oak is not chicken pox.

That's like saying to stay away if you have a burn that's still healing- unless there are flames on your skin it isn't contagious.

Jay

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

And if there are flames on your skin, I'd hope it being contagious would be the least of your worries! LOL Thanks, Jay - I'm glad to know I'm not just being overly sensitive.