Tuesday, August 30, 2005

It's getting worse, not better

It's not sounding good after all. K's bio mom lives (lived?) in Bucktown, and they were right there close to the Orleans/Jefferson Parish line.

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_Times-Picayune/archives/2005_08.html#075237

Bucktown, West End devastated

Tuesday, 6:41 p.m.

Homes in West End, Bucktown and at the Orleans-Jefferson Parish line are nearly underwater, with residents being plucked from the water and rooftops by passing boats, WWL-TV video shows.

The video shows that the popular Sid-Mars restaurant is gone.

Along Pontchartrain Boulevard, the video shows only the rooftops of single-story homes and the upper floors of two-story homes.

Many of those rescued are being brought to the I-10 near its split with I-610. They said the area survived the actual hurricane. But soon after it seemingly had passed over the area, the floodwaters rose, swamping houses.

Neighbors spoke of going house to house, using pickaxes to break through roofs to get to people hiding in their attics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, K's brother and sister-in-law live (lived?) in Waveland, Mississippi, one of the areas hardest hit by Katrina. A Hancock County official reported on a blog for the Sun Herald (Biloxi newspaper) that they had 9 feet of water in Waveland. If they even have a house to go back to, it will be trashed beyond repair.

The longer we go, the more this sucks.

K and I started talking about all the things that will be gone. We went to St. Francisville (The Myrtles) and New Orleans on our honeymoon. The World Aquarium in the Quarter. Cafe du Monde, where you could get those yummy beignets and coffee. Lafitte Guest House, right off Bourbon Street. Ralph and Kacoo's. Commander's Palace. The Saenger Theater, where we saw Phantom of the Opera (I surprised him with tickets, and was oh, so pleased with myself). The Italian restaurant that was so wonderful - I can't remember the name, but it was fabulous. All these places, if not damaged beyond repair, are never going to be the same. It makes me sad to think that. We think that places and buildings and such will continue to exist long after we're gone, but that isn't always the case. And even if they can rebuild New Orleans to look exactly like it did before Katrina, it won't be the same. The character of the city will be different now, some of its magic is gone, I think.

Everything in my life that I thought was crap pales in comparison to what our family will be dealing with over the next few months (maybe even years), and to what everyone on the Gulf Coast will be dealing with. I've got a roof over my head, a dry place to sleep, a little cash in my wallet, food in the fridge, and clothes on my back. I've got plumbing that works and running water. I've got a toothbrush and a sink where I can use it. I have all my precious pictures and family mementos and knickknacks that clutter up my house. My son is alive and well. K is alive and well, and I know where he is. I'm not seeing visions of my family members being pulled from my grasp by floodwaters or wondering where my loved ones are. I am blessed beyond measure, and I am thankful.

God bless our family and all who are dealing with this nightmare come to life.

No comments: