Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Why am I here?

I arrived at work this morning to learn that, due to a water main break, our building has no water (and therefore no use of the restrooms) and no air conditioning. The electricity is still on, which is probably why we're here. I met several ladies going up in the elevator who told me that people are being sent home because of this. But are we being told to go home? Noooooooo. Instead, we get an e-mail saying that it may be 3 or 4 hours or more until the water main break is fixed, and that we can go to the 18th or 19th floors of a building two blocks away to use the restrooms. Lovely. Don't wait until the last minute to decide it's time for a potty break, huh?! All I can say is at least it's only 80 degrees outside instead of 100.

But this is just another example of our corporate mentality. Apparently our work is so important that we need to stay here and soldier on in spite of less than hospitable working conditions. I'm sorry, I just don't see it that way, and I'm annoyed that I'll be here half a day or longer having to run two blocks over to go to the bathroom. Good thing I didn't drink a lot of coffee this morning.

2 comments:

Kalleigh Hathaway said...

I'd look into this if I were you. Not because of the uncomfortable situation but because the building's sprinkler system is probably out if there's a water main break, and it's a safety hazard. We had a similar situation here a year or two ago and the governor closed the building. We've had water problems on other days that didn't affect the sprinkler system and have had to use another building's bathrooms, but if it's a water main you may have a different leg to stand on.

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Thanks, Kayten. I'm doing that now. They've specified that our building has no water, no air conditioning, no restrooms and no coffee, and I'd think "no water" means NO water, including the sprinkler system. This sucks.