Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Domestications

I've been home cleaning and cooking today (I've got a pot of chili cooking on the stove, yum!), and it's given me some time to think. Always dangerous with a head full of snot, but I've done it anyway. My mother stayed home with me - she retired from teaching after my parents adopted me. But I grew up not expecting to stay home. It's the blessing and curse of being "bright", I guess, but it was just understood that I'd go to college and go on to "make something of myself" - my parents never even mentioned or considered the possibility of any other course for me, and I guess I never did, either. I just assumed I'd grow up and have a career.

And I have, such as my career is. I don't know if I've "made anything" of myself, but I'm employed. So today I've been thinking: If I ended up in another serious relationship or another marriage down the road, and I ended up with someone who made enough that I had the option of being a stay-at-home mother and wife, would I enjoy it? Had you asked me that question five years ago, I'd have said, hell, no. And even now, I don't relish the thought of letting myself become *completely* financially dependent on anyone - I'd still want some source of income for myself, and I'd never give up my law license. But now I think perhaps I could enjoy being a stay-at-home mom, given the opportunity to do so. It's been nice at home today, nice to see things get tidy and organized, nice to have time to prepare a meal without worrying that it's 6:30 and my child is hungry and what can I cook in a hurry. Ah well, this is probably all idle speculation anyway, since I'll probably never have the chance to stay home and see if I'd like it or not. But it's still kind of fun to think about.

No comments: