Friday, February 04, 2005

The scare of a lifetime

I picked J up from daycare this afternoon. They have a basket of candies out on Fridays, and we always get one. This afternoon he got an orange candy. It's round, but he's had them before - we always talk about how we lick them, we don't try to swallow them. He's always done just that, held a little round candy in his hand and licked it, making a sticky mess of himself and everything around him. Not sure why this afternoon was different, but we were driving and suddenly he's not talking, not making a sound, and I realized he was choking on the candy. It seemed like an eternity until I could find a place to pull over, the candy would pop loose and he'd just scream, and then it would get stuck again. I was crying and praying and I couldn't stop fast enough. I ran around to the back seat and was able to stick my finger down J's throat to where he threw up a little and coughed the candy up. I threw it away and hugged him and we both cried. He wanted to get down, so I took him out of the car seat and just held him. I have never been so scared in my life. I was shaking after all of this. I think J recovered before I did, he was asking for his water and his tractor and his duck. Sweet baby boy. I asked him if he was OK, and he said, "Hum" and hugged me. I am so, so, so, so thankful that he's OK, words can't even express, and I think we'll steer clear of round candies for a while.

And all night he's been saying, "Orange candy go away!" I tell him, that's right, no more orange candy. I'm crying just thinking about it.

God, I was so scared.

No comments: