Monday, January 30, 2006

Now why can't this ever happen to me?

I was reading Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella last night. For those of you unfamiliar with this staple of chick lit, let me summarize. Becky Bloomwood graduates from college, heads out into the work world, and proceeds to amass mountains of debt. she is, as the title says, a shopaholic. (And boy, reading about her shopping made my stomach hurt - things that overdraw my bank account are usually things like the mortgage payment, gas for the car, groceries, one bill or another. Not some high-falutin' designer scarf regularly 340 pounds, on sale for 120.) So creditors are hounding her, and she feels like the whole world can see that she really isn't cut out to be (of all things) a financial journalist. But she gets one good story, helps out someone, gets a fabulous job that pays her more than enough to get out of debt and stash some in savings, gets the good-looking guy, and all ends up rosy. I know it's just fiction. But don't we all know someone in life who seems to get all the good breaks? And don't we, on one day or another, all feel like those lucky breaks never seem to come our way? Me personally, I'd love for a miracle job that I like with a fantastic salary to go along with it to just drop into my lap. But my luck doesn't seem to run that way.

Dang, though, I wish it did.

No comments: