Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Going home

Well, in a manner of speaking - back to my church home. I did go on Sunday, to services and Bible class, and it was good to be back. My friend John was at the 9:30 service, and I sat with him. I got to talk to my friends in handbells, and my friend Jan (who now directs handbells) was so excited to see me, she ran up and gave me a big hug. There are still quite a few people in handbells that I know, and I'm really excited to start going back to rehearsal in January and getting back into performing.

I like the new pastor. He's very outgoing, and has a sense of humor you don't usually see in pastors (especially not in Baptist ones!). I went to the contemporary service, which has praise songs and choruses instead of the traditional hymns I grew up with, and drums/guitar/keyboard instead of piano and organ. So it was a bit different than what I'm used to, but I think I could learn to like it. It works best schedulewise, that's for sure - I want to go to Bible class at 11:00 since my friend John teaches one, and I can't see making it to the 8:15 service, going home for an hour or so, and then driving back for Bible class.

I'm still trying to determine what options are available for J, whether he'll be able to stay with kids his age during the service or if he'll need to come with me during church and just be with his age group for Sunday school. If he does need to come with me, I think it will be OK - I saw a little red-haired boy, maybe 2 or 3 years old, standing up on his chair dancing during the songs, and the pastor has two boys, so he doesn't seem the type to get real worked up if a little voice were to add a comment or two to his sermon.

I'd love to go to choir practice, too - it's at 6:30, before handbells at 7:30. But I don't know where J would sit while I'm singing if he has to be in the service with me. I'll have to get an answer to that question first.

At any rate, it's good to be back, and I think J is looking forward to going this week - at least as long as they have cookies and juice.

No comments: