Saturday, December 16, 2006

OUCH.

Did I mention the fact that last week I started smelling engine coolant in the passenger compartment of my car? Well, I did. Not good. And my windshield fogged up like mad with the heat or defrost turned on. Also not good. Visualize, if you will, me driving in rush hour traffic trying to use a Clorox wipe to clear enough space on my windshield so I could see to drive. (At least there weren't any germs left on that part of my windshield.)

So I made an appointment to take it in for repair. I knew it was likely a leaking heater core from the research I'd done online, and the mechanic gave me a general estimate of $300-500 to fix it. Ow, painful. I harbored a secret hope that it would be something else, something much less expensive.

No such luck. Today I took it in. The mechanic told me they'd checked, and due to the way the heater core was placed in my car, they'd have to remove the whole dash to get it replaced. Eight hours of labor. A $100 part, estimated total bill now a whopping $770. *Gasp, choke.* I was so depressed I couldn't even eat breakfast.

And the actual total when I picked my car up ended up being $801.10. Lovely. Merry Christmas to me, huh? No idea where the money to pay the rest of my bills is going to come from.

But on the bright side, at least my car no longer smells funny.

No comments: