Thursday, September 08, 2005

Another day, another dollar, part deux

This topic started with my little tear about gas prices. It's going to continue on the topic of my job.

Found out today that our CEO got an $18 million bonus this year. Well, how nice for him. How many of us poor schlubs got no bonus and no raise so that he could be rewarded so handsomely? The CEO owns boots that probably cost more than what my car is worth. He gets an 8-figure *bonus* (wonder what percentage of his salary that is?), and I don't even make enough to make ends meet. I have to debate whether I can afford to get take-out from Jack in the Box on the way home occasionally, or if that would just blow my budget.

We're asked to do more with less, and more for less. And it's not only the sheer volume of work that makes me crazy, although it really is more than any one person can do (but that's a topic unto itself) - a lot of times, I don't agree with what I'm asked to do. It seems like, just like with the oil companies, that the most important thing in the end is the bottom line. We may hear talk about making our clients happy or about the company wanting to keep their employees happy, but when push comes to shove, it seems to be the profit that counts. If that means trying to convince people to keep business with us even though it means they're just breaking even or losing money instead of earning it, that doesn't seem to matter - we're supposed to be able to sell them on the idea of keeping their business with us. I've had clients ask why they should keep their business here when they could earn more elsewhere without being charged so much in fees, and you know what? I don't have a good answer for them. And if that means paying employees way below market and not caring enough to change it, well, then, that's what gets done. People aren't loyal to companies anymore like they were 20 or 30 or 40 years ago. Maybe that's because so many companies aren't loyal to their employees. Companies don't necessarily reward experience anymore - one of my co-workers is at an age where he'd be hard pressed to find another job if he left here because of his age. Companies would rather get someone right out of school for half the price than pay someone with years of experience a salary that's commensurate with that experience. (I realize I'm speaking in very general terms, and I'm sure there are companies out there that are exceptions to this. I just haven't had the good fortune to work for any of them.) If I were making a fantabulous salary, at least I could say I was whoring myself out for the pay. But as things stand now, I'm just getting screwed. And I wonder why I can't seem to drag myself out of bed in the mornings. It's not like I've got a whole lot to look forward to during the work week.

I understand that companies need to make money to stay in business. But when company profits keep going up and up, and yet we're told that the last couple of years have been lean (given as a large part of the reason for low bonus pools and pools for raises) - well, that's pushing the limit of credibility just a tad as far as I'm concerned. It seems like those higher up the food chain are forgetting that the people farther down the food chain do a lot to help those profits increase.

All things considered, I think I'd rather go back to a government job. At least the politics there are pretty straightforward.

No comments: