Thursday, September 01, 2005

Update

One cousin and his family are safe. Still no word on K's aunts and uncles and cousins in his bio family, and no word on his grandmother. He's on his way down to pick up his bio mom and her fiance - they're safe, but in a town with no power, no water, no gas, and looters on the loose with guns. K is bringing them some gas and money, and then they're headed back up here.

I'm hesitant to make my Labor Day trek to Louisiana like I'd planned. For one, K's family needs someplace to stay - he doesn't have the room, and it would be foolish (and not very nice) of me to tell him to pay for a hotel to put them up when I've got a perfectly good house. For two, I'm starting to hear rumors of gas rationing - if not to consumers, then to retailers, and all I need is to get to someplace in east Texas and find that I can't buy gas anywhere. I know my dad is really looking forward to the visit, and I so hate to disappoint him. But when I made these plans, circumstances weren't what they are now. I'm going to reschedule for Columbus Day - I hope his feelings aren't too hurt.

It's time to dash. I've got to go try to make the house fit for company. I know they won't care, but it's for my own peace of mind. If I do end up going to La., I won't be online until sometime after we get home on Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.