Thursday, September 15, 2005

Too much fun for one person to handle

It's only 9:30, and it's already been a day. J woke up at 6:00, saying he didn't want to go to school. I got him settled while I took my shower, and when I got out, he was again telling me he didn't want to go to school, he didn't like school. We got dressed and got everything together, finally, and it was time to go. J prostrated himself in the floor hollering that he didn't LIKE school, he didn't WANT to go. I told him I didn't like work, either, but I had to go and he couldn't stay home by himself. He wouldn't get up off the floor, and when he doesn't want to get up and is dead weight, I can't pick him up from laying flat on the floor (not without risking some serious damage to my back, anyway). I was so frustrated I was ready to scream, so I just walked out of the room. At that point J realized mama really was pissed, so he jumped up and came running, saying he was ready to get in the truck. Finally.

All the way to school he told me how much he didn't like it and didn't want to go. At school he told me he didn't want to go. He wanted me to carry him to class, and he hung onto my leg for a bit. But then one of his little friends got there and J was then OK with giving me a hug and kiss and going on to play.

Then I spilled coffee on myself, dropped a big armload of stuff, and had to go to a committee meeting just about as soon as I got to work. My day sucks ass already, and it's not even close to noon. *SIGH* Dinner tonight: tequila and a straw.

1 comment:

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Cassee, I worry about that, too. I loved school, all my life - I was such a geek, I cried when my mother made me stay home sick! I still love learning, and I want to instill that in J. I'm not sure if this "I don't like school" is more a function of being three, or of wanting the security of staying home with mama, or if he's really going to not like school. I don't think the rules/structure are a problem - I've talked to his teacher about this more than once, and she said J is one of the best kids in his class, he's a good helper, and she very seldom has to get on him for anything. So it's not like he's rebelling and not dealing well with authority. I'm hoping it's just a part of being three - the father of one of J's classmates said his son went through the same thing, and J's teacher said it's not just him, that other kids in the class do the same thing. If it's a phase, I do hope it passes quickly - it sure makes for a stressful morning (and night, since he starts proclaiming that we aren't going to school the night before).