Monday, September 19, 2005

Monday, Monday

Well, now family won't be going anywhere. N went to the doctor today. Her BP is still way up, like 180/90. The doctor told her that under no circumstances was she to go home, especially not with another storm brewing, and that even without the storm, she doesn't need the stress of going home, seeing the mess, worrying about cleaning up. She's supposed to go back to see him in two weeks, so they'll be here at least that much longer. We really haven't seen them that much - they've spent most of the time over at K's. N's medicine makes her sleep, and the new BP medicine the doctor gave her today is supposed to make her sleep even more. The doctor said it's better for her right now to sleep and to heal than to be up and worrying and stressed out and sick. Sucks that they finally get over here (they hadn't seen J since he was little bitty), albeit under rotten circumstances, and now they've not gotten to spend much time with J because of health issues. It's no one's fault, it's just one of those shitty things that happens. I just hope she gets better - the doc said that if she hasn't improved by the next visit, he may put her in the hospital. YIKES. That's just scary.

And speaking of other storms - Rita, what the hell?! I know it hasn't taken direct aim on Louisiana, and it may give Louisiana a miss. The track looks rather creepily similar to Katrina's, though. And if it hits anywhere on Louisiana's Gulf Coast, it's going to cause problems. If it hits the southwestern part and lots of people evacuate, there'll be a challenge finding shelter for them, since plenty of people who left when Katrina came in are taking up a lot of available shelter space right now. If it hits the southeastern part, well, let's just say that would be less than beneficial for New Orleans and the surrounding areas. Ray Nagin is already calling re-entry into the city to a halt, and I've seen some information saying that the levees/floodwalls couldn't take more than a 3-foot storm surge at this point. AACK. I love my home state, but I wouldn't move to the New Orleans area for love or money. No way.

My wrist hurts. I was cleaning up in the kitchen tonight, and picked up one of J's sippy cups to get the lid off, when I felt/heard something pop. Ow. If it gets any worse, I'll go see the doctor.

Oh! I found out today about a position in another area of where I currently work. I think it's something I'd be very, very good at. I'm just afraid they'll see me as overqualified since I have a law degree. As long as they pay me the same or more and I'm doing work I enjoy, I don't care if they call me kitchen wench - I don't give a fat crap about titles. I'm afraid others won't see it that way, though. This position is generally seen as a stepping stone to what I do now. But I know I'd kick ass at it - it requires that you be able to read and interpret legal documents, and that's a huge chunk of what I did for four years at my previous job (besides having that handy law degree). I can't tell you how many times I've found provisions entered incorrectly in summary form on the system (this is important, because they tell us not to take the time to always go back and read the full document, but to rely on the summary on the system for our information - um, how does that help if what's on the system is wrong?). I plan to bring that up in the interview - if it's attention to detail and the ability to read and interpret documents they're looking for (and if they're serious about that and not having interviews as a formality with a candidate already in mind), I don't think they can find anyone better than me. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: