Monday, September 19, 2005

You make me laugh

I got a good laugh this weekend. Y'all may remember me talking about C - we worked together for about four years, I had a rather horrific crush on him for a good little while, and after we both left the job we had in common, we'd gone out a couple of times. Went out one time back in the summer of 2003, he kissed me, and promptly freaked out and disappeared from view. Late 2003, early 2004, he reappeared, and we went out again. Same thing - he flipped out on me (bothered by my belonging to the uncertain relationship category of separation) and disappeared again. So I said, fuck it, I don't need to be involved with a man-child who's not even grown-up enough to *tell* me what's going on in his head before he bugs off. And I went on my merry way. I'd heard through the grapevine that he had a girlfriend (and a small mean part of me did chuckle when mutual friends were less than enthusiastic about her). Goody for him. Well, here's the good laugh - my cell phone rang on Saturday. I had the ringer turned down and was in another room, so I didn't hear it. K was standing where he happened to see the light on my phone come on, so he told me it was ringing. I went into the kitchen, saw the caller ID, rolled my eyes and snorted, and hit the reject button. It was C calling. (K knows about C, so it's not like this was some big deal for him to see that C called.) K said he figured that would be my reaction! LOL I listened later to the voice mail that C left - he said he was working on something where he may be doing some work with my company, and he was just thinking about me, blah blah blah. I'm thinking, OK, you just dropped off the planet for a good six months or so, I had to pry the reason for your running away out of you (because you just disappeared, didn't do me the courtesy of telling me you really couldn't handle my uncertain marital status right now - yeah, running is better than honesty any day of the week), and now you're calling saying you were just thinking about me?! Whatever. That ship has sailed, baby. Even if he'd broken up with his girlfriend (I have no confirmation of this, but the fact that he called makes me wonder), I wouldn't be interested in going out. He's freaked out on me twice and doesn't seem to be emotionally mature enough to have the difficult conversations sometimes necessary for a successful relationship (I mean, if he didn't have the nerve to tell me how he felt at a point when we were really not in a serious dating situation, how much more might he not be able to be forthright if there was a serious relationship at stake?), and I so do not need that aggravation. He and I have each had just one real serious relationship (his engagement, my marriage), but apparently I've grown a lot more and learned a lot more from my experience than he has from his. He sent an e-mail, too - found that when I got online last night, and laughed again. Let's just say I'm not in a real big hurry to write or call back.

Other than that, it's a Monday. I've got a real bad case of the don't-wanna-do-crap today, and that's not good. I've got to find the motivation to get a lot of things accomplished today, and I'm not sure where that will come from.

Family may be going home this week. No definite plans yet, but it's looking like that's what will happen. There's still one sibling that, to our knowledge, no one has heard from. Hopefully she's OK. Some family members are now having to fight with insurance companies - K's brother was told that his homeowners' policy didn't cover the damage, they should have had flood insurance. Um, 'scuse me, if the water damage is from rising water, that's a flood. If the damage is because rain came in after the roof was smashed by two falling trees, that's storm damage and should be covered by the homeowner's policy. I saw that the state of Mississippi is suing a bunch of insurers over this issue, so maybe K's brother won't have to hire his own high-dollar lawyer. But what a sucky position to be in - you have a destroyed house that you still owe a mortgage on, insurance won't pay, you can't go back to work yet, and you still have to find some way to pay for the destroyed house and for someplace to live right now. Ugh, that makes my stomach hurt, just thinking about it.

I'd better make myself do some work. I'm just having a hard time caring right now.

1 comment:

Holly said...

sounds like a real mess over the insurance issue! Hope you have a better Tuesday!