Wednesday, September 21, 2005

A big long day

Tonight has been busy. I stopped at the store to grab a few supplies on the way home - bottled water, granola bars, batteries - just in case the weather gets bad up this way and the power goes out. Picked up J, came home, fixed dinner, played a bit, put J in bed, read stories, laid in bed with J until he finally passed out around 10:00.

Then I came into my kitchen to find ANTS. EWWWWWWWWWW. So I sprayed and squashed, and squashed and sprayed, and even tried to light a couple of the little bastards on fire (that didn't work well, but at least I didn't burn the countertop - in retrospect, perhaps it wasn't such a good idea). Finally I figured out where they were coming in - a little tiny space between the backsplash of the stove and my cabinets. So I sprayed and sprayed in there, and I think that got them - for now, anyway. This is the third time I've had problems - once they were in my dishwasher, once in my trash, and now on the cabinet (where there was no food out, so go figure). I don't like ants. I see them and then I've got the creepy feeling that one or two or three are crawling on me for the next couple of hours. Ugh.

Then I loaded the dishwasher, did a load of clothes, wrapped a gift for my manager's baby shower tomorrow (it's a group gift, and we got a cradle swing - a huge box, now that's fun to wrap!), and now I'm very tired.

I'm trying to get some more info on Rita before I go to sleep. It's a beast - third most intense hurricane in the Atlantic Basin, I think, and the minimum pressure is now below 900 MB (I think it's lower than what the minimum pressure was with Katrina). Earlier today it was referred to as "dangerous" in weather advisories - now they're calling it "potentially catastrophic". The last I saw, it looks like the predicted landfall is now more to the east, closer to Galveston than Corpus Christi and potentially causing more problems for Houston. If it moves much farther east, New Orleans is bound to get some rain, and right now I don't think the city can tolerate *any* amount of rain. Can hurricane season please just END already?!

I'm going to sleep. Enough time to fret about all this tomorrow.

2 comments:

SRH said...

Oddly enough, we have a trail of ants that seems to like the down comforter on opur guest bed. They just seem to be on the comforter. we can not trace them back to anywhere in particular. It is just plain odd.

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

I had some in a closet in the bathroom once. I was told that they were coming in looking for water (it was a particularly dry summer that year). But I don't think they'd find any of that on your comforter! That's very curious.