Thursday, August 31, 2006

The best thing about today is that tomorrow is Friday

Today has been beastly. I overslept (I need a new alarm clock, or I need to put mine where I have to get out of bed and go turn it off, or something), so that was fun. Got out of the house in relatively timely fashion, though - even showered and dressed nicely for my client meeting this morning.

Then there was drop-off at school. J didn't sleep until 11 last night, and was up by 7 this morning, so he was a GRUMP. He didn't want me to go, didn't want to stay at school, and ran after me crying every time I headed for the door. One of his teachers finally asked him to go on an errand with her and took his hand, but he was still crying and screaming as I left. So I was late leaving school, and I still had to put gas in my car. Some days (like yesterday, when he said "Bye!" and ran off) go really well, other days (like today) I get the howling wildebeest.

Traffic sucked on top of all of that, so I was 10 minutes late to work. If I do get the job in Waco, I will SO not miss Dallas traffic. I hate my commute. I hate having to maneuver around construction work and delivery trucks and stupid drivers in downtown. I hate having to pay for parking. Yuck.

Got to work, had a committee meeting at 9:30, that went OK. Had a client meeting that was supposed to start at 10:30. 10:30, no client. 10:45, no client. 11:00, no client. They finally called at 11:15 or so - they were at another building in downtown, where they thought we were located. I walked over there. They then wanted to come back to my office where it was quiet and they could hear. By the time we all got back over here, it was almost noon, and that was when the meeting actually started. We didn't finish until almost 1:00. It didn't end up being what I thought it would be about, but it wasn't bad, and now they feel like there's someone here they can talk to. So it was a much longer process than I thought, but it was OK.

In just about a week exactly, I'll be at my interview. The closer it gets, the more I really, really, really hope it works out, because I really would like to be somewhere other than where I am right now.


Nell said...

Emma is in bed - lights out - at 8:30 every night and it is heavenly bliss. Is J just not tired in the evening or is it power struggle thing with him or WHAT? Augh!

Lisa said...

Danelle, I think he's like K - he just can't shut his brain down and sleep. It's not that he's not tired - granted, he can go longer than most kids, and he'll never be one to be asleep at 8:00 or 8:30 every night. I'd be OK with 9:00 or 9:30. But nights like the past two just kill me, when I KNOW he's exhausted and he just can't settle. K has this problem - he'll stay awake and think about things. I think J is the same way. I don't think it's a power thing as much as he's just unable to really settle down and sleep. And that, I have no idea how to fix. Even when he stays in bed, he just lays there and squirms and fidgets and doesn't settle down.