Thursday, September 14, 2006

Perhaps I've missed my calling....

I found this story in the Phantom Professor's blog:

September 10, 2006
Outsourcing Homework
At $9.95 a Page, You Expected Poetry?
By CHARLES McGRATH

THE Web site for an outfit called Term Paper Relief features a picture of a young college student chewing her lip.

“Damn!” a little comic-strip balloon says. “I’ll have to cancel my Saturday night date to finish my term paper before the Monday deadline.”

Well, no, she won’t — not if she’s enterprising enough to enlist Term Paper Relief to write it for her. For $9.95 a page she can obtain an “A-grade” paper that is fashioned to order and “completely non-plagiarized.” This last detail is important. Thanks to search engines like Google, college instructors have become adept at spotting those shop-worn, downloadable papers that circulate freely on the Web, and can even finger passages that have been ripped off from standard texts and reference works.

A grade-conscious student these days seems to need a custom job, and to judge from the number of services on the Internet, there must be virtual mills somewhere employing armies of diligent scholars who grind away so that credit-card-equipped undergrads can enjoy more carefree time together.

The rest of the story

For $9.95 a page, I could probably make quite a bit of extra cash cranking out term papers, and it sounds like I could certainly do a better job than this lot.

No comments: