Saturday, July 02, 2005

100 things about me

I thought I'd go ahead and post one of these - it may be a work in progress for a while, as it may take some time to think of 100 things about myself that might actually be of interest. But here goes:

1. My parents made up the spelling of my middle name. I've never met anyone else with the same name - names that sound alike, sure, but never the same spelling.
2. I'm adopted.
3. I've found my birth mother.
4. Now I know what I'll look like when I'm in my 50's.
5. I've also found that I have a sister and brother (well, half, but I don't pay much attention to that).
6. My brother was killed in a car accident in 1998, so I never got to meet him in person.
7. But I think he's stopped by my house to visit on several occasions.
8. I had a horse when I was growing up.
9. I was a National Merit Scholar (for what that's worth).
10. I'm a voracious reader.
11. Record for most books read in a weekend: seven.
12. I'd love to have a vegetable garden.
13. I've played the piano since I was 7 years old.
14. The piano currently in my house is the one I've had since I was 7 years old.
15. I've worn glasses (or contacts, for a while) since I was 4.
16. I once cut 10 1/2 inches in length off my hair and donated it to Locks of Love.
17. I will never wear my hair so long again that I would be able to cut 10 1/2 inches off of it.
18. Growing up, I was the only girl I knew that could drive a tractor.
19. My cooking once got me a marriage proposal.
20. I've been reading since I was three years old.
21. I'm an unbelievable pack rat (but I'm trying to get over that).
22. I'd like to learn to play the cello.
23. ...and the harp.
24. ...and the bagpipes.
25. I have a rather substantial teddy bear collection.
26. I no longer collect them, and am trying to weed the collection out.
27. My urge to collect bears disappeared about the time J was born. (I'm sure there's some profound psychological meaning to that.)
28. My bed is so tall (and I'm so short) that I have to have a stepstool to get into it.
29. I've been deer hunting before.
30. ...and actually fired at a deer.
31. ...I was about eight or nine at the time.
32. I think shooting (as in at a range) can be very therapeutic.
33. I want to get my concealed handgun license.
34. I'm licensed to practice law in two states.
35. I hope never to take another bar exam as long as I live.
36. If I could go back to school now and/or completely change careers, I'd go into forensics.
37. I'd be most interested in literary forensics, but anything in the general field would be cool.
38. We saw an autopsy as part of my Law and Medicine class.
39. I was the only girl in the class who didn't get all squeamish about it.
40. If I were getting a dog, I think I'd want a boxer.
41. The first time I got drunk was on my senior cruise after I graduated from high school.
42. I split a bottle of wine with a friend, and was tree-hugging drunk.
43. I said embarrassing things to boys, threw up, and fell down the stairs - and I remember every minute of it.
44. My favorite thing about being mom to a boy: we can be loud and messy and rambunctious.
45. My least favorite thing about being mom to a boy: waiting for the day he needs his first trip to the ER because he fell or jumped off of something.
46. My favorite alcoholic drink: a good margarita or a Shiner Bock.
47. My favorite non-alcoholic drink: the blackberry tea they serve at Chili's or the strawberry lemonade they serve at Pappadeaux.
48. I also think it would be cool to be a chef - the work hours would suck, but it would be a fun job.
49. I'd like to learn how to paint.
50. I'd like to repaint my bedroom and redecorate it.
51. In my dream house, I'd have a concert grand piano.
52. I wish my sister lived closer to me so I could see her and my nieces more often.
53. My mother (adoptive mother, the one who raised me) passed away in 1995.
54. It makes me sad that she never got to hold her grandson.
55. I do think she's stopped by to say hello, though.
56. She'd fuss at me for letting him run in the house.
57. I enjoy cross-stitching, when I have time to do it.
58. I like watching hockey (and I surely hope there's a 2005-06 NHL season).
59. I'd play if I could skate worth crap.
60. I live in the greater Dallas area, but don't really care for the Cowboys.
61. I loved school as a child.
62. I cried if my mother told me I was sick enough that I had to stay home.
63. My favorite expletive is "shit".
64. If I see a number on Caller ID that I don't recognize, I don't answer the phone.
65. I'd like to go to Italy someday.
66. And Greece.
67. And Australia.
68. I go to sleep on my right side but wake up on my back.
69. I can't take short naps - it's got to be at least an hour and a half, or it's not worth it.
70. I was the state Student Council secretary when I was in high school.
71. I tried out for cheerleader one year in high school, just so there wouldn't be only one girl who lost - nine girls, eight spots, and one of the nine was just hopeless.
72. I figured I'd lose, too, so then maybe she wouldn't feel quite so bad.
73. Sure enough, I lost.
74. My handwriting is a combination of cursive and printing.
75. Three things in my purse: lip gloss, a nail file, pictures of J.
76. Three things in my refrigerator: yogurt, soy milk, ketchup.
77. Three things under my bathroom sink: bath powder, TheraFlu, cotton balls.
78. My favorite flowers are irises, roses, stargazer lilies, and alstroemeria.
79. I'd love to have a swimming pool.
80. I was on the swim team for one year in high school.
81. I wasn't the best, but it was fun.
82. I actually *liked* going to college in Waco, Texas.
83. I collect pens.
84. I'm partial to ones that write with different ink - fun colors, metallic ink, sparkly ink.
85. I'm a Gemini.
86. I never colored my hair until after J was born (I was 34 at the time).
87. My sister talked me into it.
88. I've decided I like having red hair (well, auburn, but more red than it was).
89. I like driving an SUV, even though the gas mileage is terrible.
90. I'll probably never drive anything else.
91. If money were no object, I'd buy a Honda Pilot.
92. I normally don't wear makeup.
93. The only time I've ever camped out all night for tickets was when President Reagan came to Baylor while I was a student there.
94. My favorite junk food is Reese's peanut butter cups.
95. I *like* broccoli.
96. I always like to sleep with a blanket, even when it's warm.
97. My very favorite kinds of books to read are mystery/suspense novels.
98. I can't walk very well in high heels.
99. Given a choice, I'd be a night person.
100. As life would have it, I've become a morning person by default.

And I'd better go get some sleep - part of the reason I'm a morning person by default will no doubt be waking his father up at 6:30 AM and exclaiming that he's ready to come back to the big house RIGHT NOW!

1 comment:

Kalleigh Hathaway said...

What an amazing coincidence - I just heard about Locks of Love for the first time today and was going to post a mention of it!