Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Same old, same old

Last night wasn't quite as bad as Monday night. But it still took J an hour and a half to settle down and go to sleep, and he was up three times last night - 12-something, 3-something and 5:30. *SIGH* (And if the boy doesn't just pass out after being up half the night the night before, I don't know what it takes!) So I got a fair amount of sleep, but it came in chunks of about 2 1/2 hours each. Still not a *good* night's sleep. Is it terrible that I find myself thinking, "Only two more nights, and then he goes to his dad's for two days"? LOL Not that I wish this kind of night on K - no, I'd rather J get past this stretch of bad sleep and go back to sleeping most all night, most every night. Then we'll all be better rested and a lot happier!

On the sleep front, I had a friend ask me what would happen if J just couldn't get out of his room when he woke up (i.e., a baby gate or a closed door). If part of his poor sleep is anxiety over K moving out, the last thing I'd want to do is make him feel like he didn't have access to mama. So it seems to me that efforts to keep him in his room would just make his anxiety worse. And I know from experience trying crying it out when he was younger that J doesn't give up and settle down, he just yells louder. So I'm thinking that's not a good option. He's gone through spells of poor sleep in the past - he'd have wakeful periods like this when he was younger, no telling what triggered them, nothing I could figure out to get past them, just suck up and wait for the phase to pass. He's never been what I would call a "good" sleeper, he's always been asleep late and up early (he woke up once at 2:45 AM, ready to go for the day - this was when he still took naps, and he did nap, but not any longer than usual, and no, he didn't go to bed any earlier that night!), he's always had spells of poor sleep, and except for a stretch when he was about 6-9 months old when we'd lay him down and he'd go right to sleep on his own, bedtime has never been easy. So this latest phase could be anxiety, could be a growth spurt, could be bad dreams, could just be the way he's wired, could be something completely different that I haven't considered. I just think it's something to be survived, and I hope the phase passes soon!

So I'm not a total zombie like I was yesterday, just moderately tired, and I can live with that. Work muddles on. I'm waiting on some information, and when I get it, I've got to make a phone call that could be fairly unpleasant. Ugh. But I hope I get the info today, I'd rather make the call today and get it over with than drag it out until tomorrow.

I was really happy with the pork roast I fixed in the crockpot last night. It was yummy, and J even liked it and asked for more. :) He's a good kid, he'll eat most anything (well, except Raisin Bran - he spits that right out). So now that I've reminded myself how lovely it is to have dinner pretty much completely done when I get home, I'll be using the crockpot a lot more.

We're supposed to have a team lunch tomorrow to celebrate our team leader's promotion and to say goodbye to another team member who's moving to another area here. We'd planned to leave at 11:15. I thought, yay, lunch out! Then it dawned on me - I'm supposed to have training tomorrow from 10 to 12. UGH. The training is a course that they like to have everyone attend who comes in here without any prior background in what I do. The course was offered in Atlanta shortly after I arrived, but my manager said he wouldn't make me take off for a week on such short notice, and I was very appreciative of that. I figured I'd miss the course and that would be that. I didn't realize they had the course here as well. But they do, and I'm going to it. Now in theory I think this is a really good idea, and of course I want to learn anything I can that's specific to this company that might help me do a better job. And I don't mind going to the training. But this particular lesson is such that my law school education and previous experience (between law school and reviewing tons of documents, I think I understand the different types of trusts) has pretty well given me a handle on it. So I've asked my manager if maybe I could give this session a miss (you can make up missed classes, but tomorrow's session is the last one on this particular topic for this go-round of the training). If he tells me to go, I'll go, but I'll be really pissed about having to miss lunch to sit through two hours of something I already feel pretty secure about. We'll see what he says.

And now, back to the grind - more later!

No comments: