Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Coffee, anyone?

I could use some more, myself. After being up half the night, J woke up at 5:07 this morning needing dry underpants. He observed, "it's dark outside, it's time to go back to sleep," and I said yes, it was time to go back to sleep. Did he? No. He was awake until 6:15. I toyed with the idea of just getting him up at 5-something and letting him rip, but I had hoped he'd settle in fairly short order, and it's so much easier for me to get showered and dressed if he's still snoozing. If he's awake, I worry about what he's getting into. So I certainly didn't oversleep this morning, but it's not like I got to get ready any earlier, with J still rustling around and occasionally asking where I was. After that, I figured it would be a battle royal to get him out of bed when it was time to get up. But no - the little booger popped out of bed at 6:40 and came to find me, exclaiming, "Mama, I had a nice nap, now it's time to get up!" UGH. I had a peppermint mocha with extra espresso this morning and who knows how many glasses of iced tea at lunch, and I may *still* need more caffeine to get through the day. I have no idea what's up with his sleep issues all of a sudden, but I sure hope this trend is short-lived. I can't do the bedtime battle until 10:00 or later every night, and if he now starts not sleeping through the night (he's been so very good about that for a nice little stretch - even if bedtime was late and wake-up was early, usually he's been good for the night once he finally sleeps), I may just pull my hair out.

And I told his teacher at daycare this morning about his nocturnal antics. I told her he'd probably sleep for three hours if she'd let him (given that he was looking like he could have gone to sleep on the 10-minute ride to daycare this morning), but asked her PLEASE not to do that, to wake him up!!! So maybe he'll be tired enough tonight that bedtime won't be a fight. If Benadryl knocked him out, I tell you, I'd have given him some last night.

On a completely different note, I did have a lovely lunch today. :) I'll write more about that later.

No comments: