Friday, July 15, 2005

Thunder and lightning and very little sleep

This entire week has been nasty sleep. I already wrote about Monday night/Tuesday morning. Tuesday night/Wednesday morning J was up three times during the night. Not for very long any of the three times, but my sleep was interrupted and that's enough to make me tired. Wednesday night/Thursday morning he woke up at 2 AM with this horrid choking, wheezing cough, saying it was hard to breathe. So we had a breathing treatment at 2 AM, which helped a bit (enough that I didn't rush to the ER but waited to see his pediatrician yesterday), and J said he felt better, but it was 3:30 by the time I got him back to sleep.

And last night - I was really hoping for good bedtime. J was rubbing his eyes and yawning by 4:00, and asking for his pajamas by about 7:00. We were in bed reading books at 7:30. Just as he was winding down and we were about to finish our last book, a horrific storm blew through. We heard the thunder and lightning and wind, and then this tat-a-tat-a-tat sound (hail, and lots of it). Of course J wanted to go see what was making that noise, so we had to go look at the hail and look at the ferocious winds (my windchimes are literally in knots, that's how hard it was blowing). It was constant thunder and lightning, and pouring rain, and wind blowing so hard that it made a whining sound coming through the back door (kind of like the sound it makes if you put tissue paper over a comb and blow through the paper). J wasn't scared, no, far from it. He was bouncing up and down and having a fine old time, and getting completely wound up again. Thanks a lot, Mother Nature.

So we went through the winding-down process again. Around 9:30 I let J get out of bed so I could put some Vaporub on his chest to help him breathe, and I noticed yellow flashing lights outside. Hmm, the lights are still on, so it's not the electric company, wonder who it is? I went to check, and of course J followed me. A tree at the end of my driveway had blown down onto my driveway and the road, and a crew from the county was out there chopping it up and getting it moved. Boink, J was all wound up again! "Mama, that tree go boom! Mama, that tree fall down outside!" And on and on. It was 10:30 before he FINALLY gave it up and went to sleep, and by that point I was so cross with him and with the situation that I just felt terrible. And then he woke up at 4:15 wanting to rock. He wasn't up long, but still, he was up.

Is it bad of me to be relieved that this is his weekend with K? Although I sincerely hope he sleeps better for K, and I hope he just gets back to a good sleep pattern in general.

Re: the weather. I'm wondering if we didn't have a little tornado blow through. We lost one tree, and another is perched precariously, barely hanging by a root. (I wish it would have blown over into the road, then the county would have had to deal with it. Now it's my problem. Dang it!) Half of our neighbor's Bradford pear tree was taken out, and there were trees down all along the road - the county had a wood chipper out this morning, chipping up the storm debris. I saw some twisted road signs (one was facing the opposite direction of the way it was supposed to face), and I saw a trampoline - a big round one - up in a tree. Not too bad, all things considered, but a bit worse than your run-of-the-mill summer thunderstorm.

I'd better get back to work. This is my late night, so I'm here until 7:00. Fun, fun.

No comments: