Monday, July 11, 2005

From one extreme to the other

Last night was a treat. Tonight was a trial. J was asking to put his jammies on around 7:30, so we finished up dinner and got ready for bed pretty quick. He was already rubbing his eyes, so I had hopes of a fairly early bedtime tonight. We got in bed and read some books. And read, and read. Then I told him it was time to turn out the light. And the parade of reasons to be out of bed started. "Mama, I want milk - I come with you to get it." "Mama, I need to change - my pants are wet." "Mama, I wanna rock." (Got that one about five times.) "Mama, I want to lay on the floor." I stayed with him and rubbed his back - no sleep. I rocked and sang - no sleep. By the last time he got out of bed before he gave it up at 9:45, he was so tired he could barely stand up - he nearly fell down getting off his little stepstool. Yet some impulse pushed him to keep trying to stay awake. I don't understand that. So here I've been worrying for a while that maybe I was doing J a disservice by not trying harder to move the evening schedule up and get him into bed earlier (some nights it may be 8:30 before I actually get him *in* bed, with the commute and dinner and bath and any errands I might have to run on the way home). And now it turns out that getting in the bed earlier doesn't mean earlier bedtime, it just means *longer* bedtime. Tonight it took over two hours instead of the usual one. *SIGH* On the bright side, at least we got lots of time to read. But I just don't get the not sleeping. He'll tell me he's tired. Yet something makes him keep going.

In other news: I'm now trying to motivate myself to go to the kitchen and get things ready to toss into the crockpot tomorrow morning. I've got a really bad case of the "I don't wanna's", and I keep telling myself that a little work tonight will make for a much easier evening tomorrow. So far, I'm not listening to myself. LOL

Oh well, I guess if I'm going to cut up veggies, I'd better go do it. More later.

No comments: