Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Progress, Gmail and other miscellanea

J was asleep before 10:00 tonight. Progress! I'm hopeful that once he gets used to his new space, bedtime will be easier. He likes to sit in the bed and read with me - I love that. :) Now if we can just work on daycare drop-offs.... This morning when I dropped him off, he was literally sobbing, with tears pouring down his face. *SIGH* Mornings like that just break my heart.

I've got four more Gmail invites, if anyone is interested - just e-mail me with your first and last names (Gmail requires that I have that to send an invite), and I'll zip one out to you!

Here's a question for the guys: How do you act around a woman if you're interested or find her attractive? I'm getting some strange vibes from a guy I work with, and I've ignored my intuition for so long, I don't trust my hunches much further than I can throw them. So I thought I'd toss out that question and see what comes back. I feel just a little stupid even suspecting, but what are journals for if not to write down things you feel stupid even thinking? LOL

New Year's goal #1: No more late-night snacking. It's not helping my weight loss (which is stalled at the moment), and it's not good for me. So I will not graze after J goes to sleep. I'm going to try to drink water instead - I need to do more of that anyway.

And now, off to bed. As J would say, mama go night-night.

5 comments:

Jay said...

I generally used to act wierd, alternate between too close and too distant, show "deer in the headlights look" whenever she looks at me, etc.

Tell me how he's acting and I'll try to decipher it, but geekboy here was never too good at reading the other sex.

Jay

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Jay, it's kind of like that - sometimes he seems real friendly, sometimes almost stand-offish. One morning he gave me a hug as I was walking to my desk. ??? We talk a lot about things. We started here at around the same time, so we're in the same boat as far as workload, feeling overwhelmed, etc. I don't know if it's just that bond from being in the same place workwise or what. And from what I've seen, he doesn't act quite the same toward the other women on our team - but there again, is that thought the produce of an overactive imagination? Like I've said before, I've pretty much ignored my intuition for about 35 3/4 of my 36 1/2 years on earth, so I don't trust it. And given my track record with the opposite sex, I never presume to know what they're thinking. It's nothing obvious, and I could be reading into something and making it something it's not. I just feel kind of silly even thinking it.

L.

Mo said...

I always wanted to be in conversation with a girl that I was interested in; normally just a simple conversation or something to make her laugh. Of course I just stalked MG until she gave in, then I kept her drunk for a few years. So if this guy tries to make you laugh and then offers you a bottle of tequila; look out.

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Well, no tequila has been offered, but he did make sure I had plenty of jello shots at our Christmas party! LOL

L.

Chris said...

Lisa,

I don't know how to act around a woman I'm interested in because for so long I have had to remind myself not to be interested in other women; but I know what you mean. I find myself worrying that I will be too obtuse to notice when a woman is interested in me. I'll think she is being friendly when she is coming on to me.

It reminds me of a time in college when I helped a friend move to a house from her third floor apartment (she was moving out of the place she shared with her ex-boyfriend after they'd broken up six weeks prior). We spent the day loading things into my truck, then unloading then doing it all over again. She offered to buy me beer afterwards, so there I was sitting on her couch waiting for my beer (I was 20).

The girl, who was a short, cute Caddo Indian girl from East Texas told me to sit tight because she was going to shower. I popped on the TV and waited for her to finish, thinking that I could go walk into her bathroom (she'd left the door open) and make the moves on her. Instead I waited on the couch like a gentleman.

After her shower she came out in a towel and chatted with me for a bit, leaning on the door frame of her bedroom door. I was a bit uncomfortable about this because she was next to naked and I was getting a little turned on by it. Instead of looking at this as an opportunity I thought "she's just moved out of a stressful situation, you should be supportive and not press her for some boinking." I didn't do a darn thing.

About six months later she told me that all she wanted to do was to fuck that evening. She thought I found her unattractive and said I really hurt her feelings by not coming on to her. I told her that she should have just asked me if I wanted to have sex because I was sitting there with a stiffy trying not to stare at her breasts.

She laughed and I cursed myself.

I am sorry I am of no help to you in your situation Lisa. I'd suggest the best thing for you to do is to ask him what his intentions are in a subtle way. Ask him what he's doing for lunch and see where the conversation goes. I think that is your best bet.