Friday, January 07, 2005

Woo hoo, it's Friday!

Cloudy and dreary, but still Friday.

Our team went out to lunch for our team leader's birthday today. That's one thing that's kind of cool about working in downtown, you can walk to lunch instead of having to move your car. It's always nice to get away from the office, and even nicer when your manager is there, too, so you know you won't get in trouble for being gone too long! LOL

Bedtime battles continue. J fights it like a little wild man every night, although last night wasn't as bad as some nights have been. But he did wake up at 4:00 this morning, wanting to be rocked. It took about 30-45 minutes for him to get soundly back to sleep. I debated just staying up and getting ready for work early, but I'm not that much of a glutton for punishment.

And now daycare drop-offs are getting ugly. It seems to go in cycles. For a while, they'll be OK. Then we get back to where we are now, where J starts clinging to my legs as soon as we get inside. He didn't cry until I left this morning, just hung on to me saying, "mama...mama...mama" and trying to stay between me and the door. And then he howled when I left. *SIGH* Days like that really make me want to cry (and some days I do, although not until I'm back in the car).

On the relationship front: I've been thinking. I think I've said before that I have an un-misspent youth to make up for, and I also think I've said I've realized that I can't/won't be into truly casual sex (i.e., just a one-time thing with zero emotional involvement - I know myself well enough to know that I'd like for there to be at least *some* interest in me the person, not just me the warm body). And I think when I do start actually dating, I won't be into playing the field, at least not in the sense of having several guys on the string at the same time. I don't have that much self-confidence, and I just don't think it's my style. Not to say I'd be looking to jump into anything *serious* with anyone anytime soon - huh, not even. I just don't see myself going out with three different guys on every free weekend I have. (If I did that and ever got serious about one of them, that would mean I'd have to break it off with the others, and I'm terrible at hurting people's feelings! LOL)

And some surprising good news on the job front: We get little rewards for delighting clients. You can redeem them for different things (personally, I'm saving to get enough to buy myself a half day off work). Well, I got not one but two today, and one was recognized as the delight story of the week! I know, it might sound a little cheesy and a little too rah-rah for some. But it was a nice feeling to be recognized for doing something good. Maybe there is hope for me here, maybe I'm not the red-headed stepchild of the team that I feel like sometimes.

Back to work - maybe I can accomplish something else good! ;)

1 comment:

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

It feels like perpetual separation anxiety. He goes through spells where he's just fine about bed, about daycare drop-off, practically shoves me back out the door so he can go play and get his day started. Then the wheel turns, and he gets into clingy, crying, howling mode. I have no idea what prompts the shift from one phase to the next, and it sure is frustrating when he goes from "easy" to "not so easy". I know he'll get past it eventually - I know when I was a kid, I couldn't go places often enough, and my mother took separations far worse than I did! LOL But sometimes it's hard to remember that when you're in the middle of trying to pry a clinging boy off your leg at daycare or get a seriously overtired boy to settle down enough to sleep for the fourteenth night in a row. Blech.

L.