Monday, June 13, 2005

An exercise in frustration

It's been a day already, and it's not even 9:00. UGH.

For starters, I overslept. Big time. I woke up at 6:47, when I heard J rustling around in his room. Doesn't that just figure, weekends he'll be up at the butt crack of dawn, and on a weekday he'll sleep until almost 7. (And he might have slept past 7 - he wasn't really awake when I heard him, just moving around a bit.) I swore very creatively and hit the ground running. J was none too happy about being rousted out of bed in such an unseemly fashion, but he went along with it for the most part (although he did get perturbed when I told him there was no time to watch TV and when I wouldn't let him have a bowl of shredded cheese to eat in the car - yeah, like that cheese would have made it into his mouth, more like it would have been ground into my carpet).

Daycare drop-off went fine, thankfully. J hugged me, gave me a kiss, and said, "Bye, mama!" But as I was leaving daycare, I was trying to turn left out of the parking lot, so I could go get gas in the car (which was totally sucking fumes). One of the employees wanted to turn in the exit side to get to the employee parking without having to wade through parents dropping off their kids - understandable, but not real practical at that point, since I would have had to turn right to get out of her way instead of left like I wanted to do (and had my turn signal on to do). She sat there and honked at me, and was of course pissing off drivers trying to get around her (and since there were cars coming, I couldn't go ahead and turn left to get out of her way - of course, with cars coming, I couldn't turn right, either). She could have gone past me to get into the parking lot another way, but kept honking at me instead. Finally, after there was almost a wreck, I did what I didn't want to do - turned right onto the one-way ramp that put me on the highway and away from a gas station, never mind that the "low fuel" light on my car had come on. It was just too much this morning, and I cried halfway to the next gas station, about 10 miles up the road. I made it, but still - it wasn't how I'd planned to do it, and it's a good thing I didn't run out of gas.

Then it was stupid driver day on the road. I don't know why I even bother using a turn signal, no one pays attention to it. In fact, I think it inspires people to be even ruder drivers and cut you off that much faster. There were probably four or five times that I was cut off, either when I wanted to change lanes or when someone else seemed to think their car and mine could occupy the same space at the same time. That being said, there was one nice driver in downtown, who let me over when a DART bus pulled out and stopped in front of me unexpectedly - so kudos to that person and sucks to the rest of the idiots on the road this morning.

And now I'm at work. Joy. I didn't have time to fix a lunch, so I'll have to go buy something - wasn't planning on doing that. I just hope the day improves from here. If it's all this vexing, I might just go home and have tequila for dinner.

No comments: