Friday, June 24, 2005

What a night

I went home yesterday to let the A/C repairman in. He checked the unit out, and told me the fan motor needed a new bearing, and the capacitor was shot. Total cost to repair: about $500. The unit is 10 years old, and he said it's a lower-end model that builders often use to cut building costs (and this is the one that was put in when the house was built in 1995). So I could have had it repaired, but might have been looking at a new unit pretty soon anyway. Given all the considerations, I opted for a new unit. The repairman said he could fix it temporarily so we'd have air for the night until they could put a new unit in today. Well, as he was trying to fix it temporarily, something else crapped out - it's a heat pump, and the switch that changes it from "heat" to "cool" was stuck on "heat", meaning it was blowing hot air. Not good!!!! So it was good that I'd already decided on a new unit, because this would have been something else that would have added to the repair cost. They'll be out this afternoon/evening, and I should have cool air tonight. I wasn't planning on spending this much money. But at least now I do have it to spend (a year ago, I wouldn't have), and hey, it's only money. Air conditioning isn't exactly optional equipment in a Texas summer.

So last night we ended up staying with K in the bitty house (as J calls it). It was far too hot to stay at my house, even with ceiling fans - the temp was showing to be about 90 when we left last night, and was still over 80 this morning when I went home to get dressed for work. I'm glad K and I get along well enough that we can help each other out in crises, and that we can stay under the same roof without it being a real nightmare. It was so nice to have air conditioning! J kept saying, "Turn that (the A/C) on, mama, I like the cold!" LOL It was a pretty calm night. J started hollering about a monster after everyone had settled for the night - he saw the light of the smoke alarm on the ceiling and said it was a monster, he wanted it taken away. K and I explained to him that it wasn't a monster, it was there to help and to keep the house safe, and that it was part of the house, like the fan was at the big house (my house). He was OK with it after that, and by this morning, it had transmogrified itself into a ghost and he'd made friends with it. This morning, I got, "Mama, that ghost like me!" I told him I was so glad he'd made his peace with it, that it was really a very friendly ghost. LOL He also woke up at about 4 AM, asking, "Where are you, Mama?" So I got up and talked to him, and he wanted me to lay down by him, so I laid down on his little bed until he was asleep. Then I laid back down and slept a bit more myself. All things considered, not a terrible night - not as bad as it would have been staying in my hot house, that's for sure.

This morning was pretty crazy. I got J dressed at K's house, and then we went back to my house so I could get dressed. J was a little bit off kilter at the change in routine - he wanted to stay at the bitty house, and then he didn't want to get out of the car at school. Once we got inside, though, he was fine. I was just horribly late to work, since I still had to stop for gas after I dropped him off. AACK.

All I have to say is, hooray for Wellbutrin. I know everything I've read says it doesn't really take effect until after you've taken it for a week or two, but I swear it's made a difference in my stress level already. Last night I took the news about the need for a new heat pump (and the cost) pretty well in stride - a week ago I'd have been grinding my teeth and learning new swear words. The change in routine, the vexation of dealing with a cranky 3-year-old - didn't get me nearly as uptight as it once did. I didn't realize how wiggy I got about things until I suddenly noticed myself being less wiggy. I haven't bothered to check my blood pressure yet, I figured I'd wait a few days on that. But my stress level seems to be better, which can only be a good thing, right? :) The down side is, you aren't supposed to drink much while taking it. But I'm not a big drinker anyway, so that shouldn't be a big deal.

Now I'm at work, just waiting to hear from the A/C guys as to when they've got the new heat pump. Then we'll figure out what time they'll come put it in. Can't say as I'm *happy* about writing a $2200 check, but the cool air will be most welcome. And now I'll have warranty and stuff - if anything goes out the first year, it's free, so that's a nice reassurance to have.

The down side is, this means no evening out with T. :-( I'm really bummed about that, I was looking forward to seeing him again. I think I was more upset about having to change my plans than I was about the cost of the new heat pump! Logically I know taking care of my house (and making sure it's a nice place for my son) comes first, and I know there will be other evenings out and that plans can be rescheduled. But dammit, I wanted to go out tonight! Pout, sulk, whine. I think I'm most bothered by it because T works the rest of this weekend, so no other opportunities there, and I'll have J this weekend and next, since family is coming for the 4th of July weekend (and since family is coming, I can't bail on them and go out). That means there won't be a chance to reschedule until two weeks from now, and that's disappointing. Logically I know it's not the end of the world, but I'm still bummed - logic isn't the controlling factor here. Oh well, this will just give T a chance to look forward more to seeing me, right? ;-)

OK, I guess I'd better get some work done while I'm here!

3 comments:

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Cassee, I don't mind at all! :) I've read something like that, too - I think it was talking in terms of children in daycare, how perhaps it's not the quantity of time parents spend with their children as the quality, so perhaps the negative stigma that daycare sometimes has isn't necessarily deserved. And J is doing well in daycare, I can't complain about that at all. I just hate, to me, it feels like so much of my time with him isn't necessarily quality time - it's trying to get out the door, trying to get ready for bed or in bed, me getting chores done, things like that. Logically I know we spend fun time together, but some days I'd like a lot more on the quantity end of the spectrum! Thanks for your encouragement - good to know I'm not the only one out there who feels that way sometimes.

The Anti-Wife said...

Where you be? Are you like me and do not blog on the weekends? :o) I hope all is well.

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Kellie, I'll blog on weekends if I have time - this past one was just such a zoo, I didn't get much online time! All is well, and I'm one tired mama.