Monday, June 27, 2005

Is it Friday yet?!

What?! It's only Monday? Oh, say it isn't so.

Big, busy weekend! First off, I did get to go out with T on Friday after all. :-) The timing of having the new A/C put in worked out to where I wasn't busy with that late in the day, so we went ahead and went out to dinner. Much fun!

Second, J went to Little Gym on Saturday. There's one close to the house, and a friend of mine takes her little girl, who's about J's age. She suggested we try the free class. So we did. J was excited - right up until just about time to go to class! Then he started: "Mama, I want to go bye-bye, Mama, I want to go to Target!" (Little Gym is in the same shopping center as Target, which he loves.) We went ahead and went into the gym for class, and he pretty much screamed and hung on to me for the first 15 minutes or so. Then he looked around, realized, "hey, there are things to jump on and climb on and run with in here!", and that was it. :-) He said he wanted to come back and play every week, so we went ahead and signed up for the rest of the summer. We're also going to have his birthday party there, which will save me the hassle of preparing for and entertaining and cleaning up after a horde of 3-year-olds - all I have to do is send invitations, bring cake and show up! I'm glad he liked it - I knew he would if he'd just give it a chance.

And yesterday we went to a birthday party. My co-worker's son was turning 2, and she'd invited us to go. Her older son is 4, and I figured it can't hurt for J to make new friends. So we drove up there (about an hour one way - yuck), and as is his usual routine with new places, J started out wanting to go home. He got a little more interested when he saw that there were presents (although he was most chagrined to find out they weren't for him to open! LOL), and he had a good time playing outside and eating cake (although I almost didn't think I'd get him in from outside, even for cake!) And once he saw that the 4-year-old's room was pretty much all Wiggles and trucks, that was it, he was ready to just move in. LOLOL He had fun - so much so that he didn't want to leave, and pitched a howling fit when I told him it was time to go home. By that point, he was oversugared, overstimulated and just worn out, and he bid everyone farewell by screaming, "I don't wanna leave, I wanna watch a mooooooooovie!" as we left. (Star Wars was on the big screen TV, and between that and the Wiggles, he was just enthralled.) *SIGH* 40+ pounds of boy is a lot to pack down the stairs and out to the car (and no easy task when said 40+ pounds is unhappy, kicking and screaming, and just about as tall as his mama), and today my back is hurting. Ow. Again, though, I'm glad he had fun and was able to warm up to new surroundings, even if he did go nuclear right there at the end.

Today: J was very "I don't want to" right from the start. He woke up happy this morning. I told him it was time to get ready for school. "I don't want to go to school, I want to go to Target." Target's closed, time to get dressed. So we got dressed and finally headed out the door - he'd settled on milk before we got in the car, and as I was buckling him into his car seat (accompanied by whines of "I don't want to get in my seat!"), he suddenly decided he wanted tea (Crystal Light). So I got tea, and off we went. As soon as we got to the parking lot at daycare: "I want milk." God save me from the fickle nature of small boys. He threw a fit wanting milk, and said he didn't want to get out of his seat, didn't want milk inside, and on and on. I was running late anyway, so this wasn't helping the overall mood. (Wellbutrin is my friend, Wellbutrin is my friend....) Finally got him out, and he was fine for a bit. Then, just as I thought he was going to run off happily to watch TV before going to class, he superglued himself to my leg and started wailing. *SIGH* After several minutes of this, he was distracted by the computers and ran off to play. But geez, what a morning. And this was before I even left town!

So I was late to work, and found a million things waiting on my desk when I got here. Ugh. Calgon, take me away!

On the bright side, the new A/C works great. Maybe my electric bill will go down with a more energy-efficient unit in there.

2 comments:

The Anti-Wife said...

The mean, cruel — yet empathetic — side of me says that I am VERY thankful to be past this stage of parenting. At least when my kids did this kind of stuff, I had my ex to calm me. This is tough to handle, and is never a good start to a day. Just hold your ground with the little tyke. They try so hard to exercise their new-found power of expressing their wants and needs. It’s just about control.

I am glad that the air is working for you. Ugh...I couldn’t live without it.

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Oh, I'm holding my ground as best as I can! I have to, I don't want him to grow up to be a little monster, thinking he can get everything he wants just by whining. Hard to stand strong some days, though.

And the house is MUCH more pleasant with a working air conditioner - in fact, sometimes I find myself getting too cold! LOL