Sunday, June 19, 2005

The freaks come out at night

I must put out some kind of "weirdos, please write to me" vibe. Just this weekend, I've gotten 1) a message from a guy in Connecticut who said he's never been to Texas but would love to come when I invite him (hmm, just a bit presumptuous, aren't we?), 2) not one but two "collect calls" on one board (where the sender doesn't pay for the message, but the receiver does, if they accept), from the same guy (two is pushy, and if I'm not interesting enough for you to spend your nickel on, well, then, I'm not interesting enough), 3) a message from a guy who said, "Call me when you've been single for two years - you wouldn't want to make the same mistake again, would you?" (And what mistake would that be?), and 4) a message from a guy in Canada, with just a subject line - all it said was, "Angels have wings - love and light." ???? I keep hearing that Whodini song in my head, "The freaks come out at night." They certainly do, at least on the meet-and-greet sites!

The weekend really went pretty well, as far as I'm concerned. Sure, J was ready to come home today, but he didn't have the flaming meltdowns over me not being there that I'd feared. And K might have called a couple of times, but he never asked for help or asked to bring Julian home early. I know K will feel a lot better, though, when he can buy a little house and J can have his own room. But it went well, all told, and as we continue to stick to a more regular routine, it will get better, I think.

Today we all went out to lunch for Father's Day - Pappadeaux, yummy! (Yes, my soon-to-be-ex and I still get along well enough that we can sit at a table and eat a meal without stabbing each other with the silverware. I, for one, am glad of it.) J was just as good as he could be - he didn't even need a booster chair or high chair, just sat in a regular chair like the big boy he is. :) I had to laugh when I saw another little boy pretty close to J's age in the floor, trying to stand on his head. Of course his mother grabbed him up and put him in her lap, and he just hollered and threw a fit. At the time, J had a fork and was trying to scoop pieces of ice out of K's glass - he'd get one out, say "that's too big!" (meaning it was too big for him to put in his mouth - I told him we don't eat big pieces of ice) and put it back. A bit messy, sure, but I figured it was way better than the kid trying to do gymnastics in the floor. LOL

And tonight wasn't bad. J was tired. I had the light out just before 9:00. He asked for tea once - got some tea, his eyes were rolling back in his head. Then he was crying - he wanted me to wipe his nose and asked for tea again. I kissed him and told him to lay down, I'd be right back. By the time I got the Crystal Light mixed up and came back to his room, he was snoring. :) Sweet boy, he's had a big weekend!

T called today. :) He apologized for having been out of pocket for a bit. He was on his way to work, so we didn't get to talk too long, maybe about 10 minutes. He had his boys this weekend, so they got to do some fun things. He said he knows I have J next weekend, but maybe we can plan to go out for a belated birthday dinner. I'm glad he called. :)

I have my presentation tomorrow. Yikes. I'm just a little bit nervous. Hopefully it will go OK, and hopefully the 10-15 minutes I'm supposed to talk will pass mercifully quickly. If the outside job would be offered to me later this year, then I don't want to be offered this internal job. But I still don't want to make a total ass out of myself. Better that the higher-ups don't know my name than that they know me as "that girl who sounded like an absolute idiot in her interview." 11:00, wish me luck! :)

No comments: