Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Walking a fine line

I'm trying to balance being perceived as pushy vs. the need to stand up for myself/to know what's going on. I think I've mentioned T before. We talked quite a lot by e-mail, went to lunch, and then went out a couple of weeks ago. I thought we were getting along quite well. But since the evening out, it seems that I haven't heard from him as much. My logical, practical side thinks that this could be for any number of reasons, all of which have nothing to do with me. I know he's got things going on in his life, any one of which might make a person feel the need to keep his own counsel for a bit, and it's not like we're serious or at a point where either of us should expect any particular level of communication. I try to remind myself of these things. But when I look back at it, it feels like before the date, more of an effort was made to keep in touch, and that's really tapered off recently. There again, there could be a perfectly logical explanation having nothing to do with how interested T may or may not be in me. But the little part of the old me that's left, the insecure, uncertain, shy part that fully expects that no guy will ever really be interested in her and fully expects things to crap out just when they seem to be going well, is rearing her little whiny head. That little remnant of the old me is just convinced that T has lost interest, flaked out on me like a couple of guys have done (most recently, C) and just buggered off. He doesn't strike me as the kind of person who'd just disappear without so much as a fare-thee-well, which makes me think he's just got things going on that take priority. But still - that little nervous, insecure voice is there, and no amount of chocolate seems to shut her up completely. I haven't heard from him since Saturday. Not a lot of time, really, in the grand scheme of things, and there have been times in the past that a few days have lapsed between e-mails. This just feels different, though, and although I'm trying not to let it get to me, it's challenging. I've sent a couple of casual e-mails, and now I'm just going to keep quiet. But I'm contemplating, if I haven't heard anything by Saturday (which would make it a week since I'd last heard anything), sending an e-mail expressing a bit of what I've written here. I just wonder, though - will that come off as too pushy, or as too clingy/whiny/needy? Am I better off just leaving well enough alone at this point and waiting for him to decide he wants to get in touch with me, and not fretting myself about it if he never does? I don't know. This is the part of dating that sucks rocks, and when you've been married for ten years, you tend to forget exactly what it's like. Blech.

I've got work to do - more later!

No comments: