Thursday, November 25, 2004

Happy Turkey Day!

Family got here before lunch, and this afternoon, everyone got a nap but me and J. Yep, that's right, the boy didn't nap - looks like he's getting to where he won't nap at home anymore. *SIGH* He was wiped out by 6:00, but didn't give it up until a little after 8. Still, that's early for him. I just hope he's not up at the butt crack of dawn tomorrow!

And I have to go to work tomorrow. The more I think about that, the more cheesed I am. This is the first job I've ever had where I've had to work the day after Thanksgiving, and I DON'T LIKE IT. Pout, pout, whine, whine. I just hope all the people who usually call are busy with their own festivities and don't take the time to bother me. :-) I can't fart around too much, though - I need to finish packing for the move next week and if it's quiet, hopefully I can take time to catch up on some things. Who am I kidding, I'm so far behind I'll never catch up.

I know I do a lot of whining in here, but in the spirit of the day, I thought I'd take a minute and think of things I am thankful for. So here goes:

*I'm thankful to have a job. Yes, it makes me crazy; yes, the salary isn't what I'd hope for ideally; yes, there are downsides to it. But I have wonderful co-workers, and in this day and age, I'm thankful just to have a job - plenty of people don't.

*I'm thankful for J. He is my little sunshine and the love of my life, and I can't imagine life without him. Being a mother is the biggest challenge I've ever faced, but it also offers the biggest rewards. Nothing compares to hearing him say, "MY ma-ma-ma-ma-ma!" and seeing him come running with arms outstretched for a hug. :-)

*I'm thankful for a roof over my head, clothes to wear, and food to eat. My house is nothing fancy, but it's comfortable and warm. My wardrobe may annoy me because my clothes don't fit quite right (they're mostly too big - I know, what a problem to have! LOL) and they aren't particularly fashionable, but I have something to wear every day (as does J - he's got a dresser full of clothes, thanks to grandparents!). And I may eat "clean-out-the-freezer" surprise more than I'd care to, but it's food, it's readily available, and I don't go to bed or wake up hungry.

*I'm thankful for family. After my mother died, my dad and I barely knew how to talk to each other. Gradually we're learning how to really talk, one adult to another, and that's a blessing. My stepmom is wonderful - she and I can really talk, because I know my dad and his quirks and foibles, and she knows she can tell me what's really on her mind and I'll understand without getting upset and listen without judging. And K's parents are great, too - I've always loved them, and that hasn't changed. I've also got a wonderful birth mom and half sister (although she's just "sis" in my book) and two cool nieces that I adore. That's a LOT to be thankful for!

*And I'm thankful that the money from my dependent care reimbursement account FINALLY posted to my checking account!!!! Not sure how much of it I have left, after all the damn overdraft charges on top of charges. But at least I'm back on the plus side, and payday is Tuesday. So that's a relief. Another pay period of really skimping and scraping, but I'm planning to still be in the black come the 15th (the next time I get paid after Tuesday).

On that happy note, I think I'll call it a night and go to bed a little early. Hope everyone had a great day today!

No comments: