Sunday, November 14, 2004

Sacred, holy...

I love the smell of candles - not necessarily a particular candle fragrance, but the warm smell of melting wax. It's somehow sacred and sensual at once. I'd probably love beeswax candles, no scent other than that of melting wax. If I didn't have a two-year-old, I'd have tons of candles in my room. As it is, I limit them mostly to the kitchen. I had eight or nine of them burning all day - most have burned out now, except the larger ones, but the smell lingers.

Another smell filled my house today - the smell of cookies baking. When I have a lot on my mind, cooking is a form of stress release. Today I had a lot on my mind, so I whipped up a big batch of double chocolate chip cookies with dried cranberries tossed in. I ate one cookie and boxed up the rest to take to work - so much for stress eating, but hey, maybe the fact that I'm too twisted to eat is a good thing.

I played the piano some, too. I love my little upright (it's what, 29 years old now, I've had it since I started playing at age seven), but in my dream house I have a music room big enough for at least a baby grand, maybe even a concert grand. Black, of course. Now playing that would truly be stress relief.

No comments: