Thursday, November 18, 2004

Now I remember...

why I'm grumpy. Today is the parent-child Thanksgiving feast at J's daycare, and I'm not going to be able to make it. Poo. :-( This is one reason I'd really love to work for myself, to have the flexibility to do stuff like this without having to worry if I can get a vacation day approved or trying to leave and come back to work (not feasible now, as my work is about 30 miles from daycare and the day would be blown by the time I left, had lunch and came back). Only a couple of parents of kids in J's class are going to be there today, so it's not like he'll be the *only* one without a parent at lunch. But still, I wish I could be there.

And the weather is *still* crap. If the sun doesn't come out soon, I might go stark raving mad.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hi Lisa,

I saw your URL in my referrals so I thought I'd stop by. My son had his Thanksgiving feast at school on Tuesday and they ate a total of four turkeys at his school. There were a lot of parents there and my son told me that so and so's Dad was there and so and so's Mom and so on and so on. I felt bad about it, but like you I'm thirty plus miles from my son's school. I'd love to be there more, but right now it is more important that I keep working hard and trying to make things better for his future.

There are going to be a lot of opportunities for you to be a wonderful mother to your son. Just keep and eye out for the ones you can make the most out of and try not to sweat every single 'event' that your son is involved in.

GH

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Thank you, GH! It's always good to know I'm not the only one in this position - not that I wish for anyone else to have to pick and choose what activities of their child's they can take part in, but I guess it's the idea of misery loves company. You're right, it's not like this is the only chance I'll get to do things with him and be involved. Thanks for the reminder and the visit!

L.