Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Thoughts on work.

I'm an attorney, for what that's worth. For years, I think I've really undervalued myself as an attorney, really undervalued my chosen profession. I went into law with the misguided notion that I could make a difference in the world, and also, I think that on some level I chose it because that was three more years of school my parents would pay for, thus three more years before I had to get out into the "real world". While I still think I should have stuck with my first love and majored in some field of science, I've now realized that being a lawyer is a noble profession, and that there are lawyers who love what they do and who genuinely want to help newer attorneys do well. I just hope I haven't figured this out too late.

What I'm contemplating: possibly opening my own practice, focusing on probate and estate planning. The problem: no direct experience in the field. Possible way to get direct experience: find a job with a law firm, work there for a couple of years to build contacts and get experience. The problem with that idea: Many firms don't want an attorney who's ten or eleven years out of law school coming in at an entry-level position. They seem to operate under the impression that you should have a certain amount of knowledge if you've been out of school that long, never mind that you haven't practiced in the field you're hoping to work in. Not saying this would be the case with *all* firms, just that it might be something to keep in mind should I decide to pursue this direction. I'm still working on other ideas for gaining experience. Right now, I realize that I have neither the knowledge nor the client base to just jump out there and hang out a shingle. I also don't have the financial reserves needed for the first few months (or years) of hit-or-miss income that starting a law practice would require (and being on my own and in my current job, no real way to establish that reserve that I've been able to figure out). But I'm thinking in this direction. I have a son now, and I'd love to have the flexibility with him that being my own boss would offer. Granted, there are stresses with being responsible for your own destiny, but I think the flexibility would outweigh those stresses once I got going real good.

Of course, part of me wishes I could just find a man who'd be willing to let me stay home. I wouldn't mind having more children if I didn't have to work. It breaks my heart putting Super J in daycare now, I don't know if I could do that with another child. So is it wrong of me to wish to be in a position where I wouldn't be using my law degree? I don't think so. Not practicing law and staying home wouldn't make me any less intelligent, it would just mean I was applying my intelligence to a different endeavor - that of running a house and making a home. But that's probably just wishful thinking, anyway. *SIGH*

And while I'm dreaming, if I didn't want to totally blow off work but didn't want to go the law practice route, and if I had the $ to do so, I'd start a Bath Junkie franchise. (http://www.bathjunkie.com) I don't think that's happening anytime soon, either, though!

No comments: