Thursday, November 18, 2004

Miscellanea

Oh Mum, I wonder when I'll be wakened
It's just that there's so much to do
And I'm tired of sleeping
--Suzanne Vega, Tired of Sleeping

I was listening to this on my way to work this morning, and that's kind of how I feel. (And why, oh why, do I keep thinking about my life and not focusing on the piles of work on my desk?! This morning was pretty good as far as work goes, but it's going downhill fast.) Almost like I've been asleep for the last ten years or so, starting to wake up about a year and a half ago, and still trying to completely wake up. There *is* so much to do, and I *am* tired of sleeping. Anyone got a shot of No-Doz out there to help me along? Some days I feel like I'm just about to crawl out of my skin with the desire to get moving, to see where I'm going to go next, to see where life takes me.

I've got phone calls to make. I hate phone calls, especially ones that have to be made just to say we've touched base with the clients, when there's no particular reason for the call. I always feel stupid saying "we're just calling to see if there's anything you need" or something of that nature when some of these people haven't heard from anyone here for over a year. And I've got a ton of those to make. BLECH, BLECH, BLECH. For someone as talkative as I can be with people I like, phone calls like this are surprisingly painful. I'd rather have dental work with no anesthetic (which I've been known to do on occasion if it's nothing major - I have a high pain tolerance, what can I say) than make these freakin' phone calls. But if I hope to have a snowball's chance in hell of getting any sort of raise and/or bonus this year, I've got to do it. You know, it's things like this that make winning the lotto seem more and more like a good idea....

No comments: